• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

editing music video - audio not in sync...

i've been having this problem recently, i've edited over 100 music videos, and it seems that this just started recently, i dont know if it has anything to do with my switch to final cut pro (used to premiere) or that im playing the audio from different sources, or what

but sometimes the AUDIO of the music video doens't SYNC properly with the track the artist performed to

i'll line up the beginning, and its SUPPOSED to be perfectly on sync through out, however it'll fall out of sync about 15 seconds in, and get more out of sync as the record plays

now, i USUALLY use a PORTABLE ipod aux stereo, i think i get more luck when i use this than when i have the music played from a CD player...

could the CD player be playing the audio at a different pace than it should be? and this is not due to SKIPPING btw, i've dealt with the past, and this is not the case

this is frustrating because i edit A LOT of music videos, and it messed up my pace when i have to move each individual part back on sing, as opposed to just lining up the entire track and cutting accordingly

ok just went to sync something from the video that was filmed with the IPOD playing the music, and it still falls out of sync

meaning its not the player messing up but something in POST is making these out of sync

any ideas?

Yes, it is a Final Cut problem, but probably somewhere in your set-ups and/or import/conversion preferences. Check your frame rates and sample rates. Remember that audio standard for CD is 44.1kHz and audio standard for video is 48kHz. If it a CD not properly converted coming into a video session it will play back at the wrong speed.

I edit live studio music session videos every week for http://noisecoalition.com/live -- I have this same problem every single time. I've tried changing my FPC settings, I've had them record audio in different samples rates and I've never been able to fix the problem.

Usually by the end of the song, the footage falls behind about 3 frames. The work-around I came up with is once I get the audio and video in my timeline, I line the song up in the beginning, then I slice the footage into 4 equal cuts (don't touch the audio). The 1st quarter stays where it is, the 2nd quarter gets moved forward one frame, the 3rd quarter 2 frames, the 4th quarter 3 frames. As long as the song is around 3:30 - 4:30 minutes long, this technique keeps everything lined up. I usually have about 4 different camera angles for each song performance so it's easy to cut around those slices.

Usually by the end of the song, the footage falls behind about 3 frames.

But he's talking about falling out of sync within 15 seconds of the start of the video and the track; that sounds like a sample rate conversion problem to me.

The drift of three or four frames in four minutes is an old story when recording audio and video without a common time clock.

UPDATE -

i went back and imported the same files into PREMIERE and it was the same problem, i even converted to the same sample rate

here's what i have came up with

the AUDIO record maintains the right length/ time

but the VIDEO is altered for some reason probably by the camera

what i had to do is SPEED UP the audio track to 100.58% for it to be in sync. very annoying but it worked.

is the 7D known to have this issue?

I edit live studio music session videos every week for http://noisecoalition.com/live -- I have this same problem every single time. I've tried changing my FPC settings, I've had them record audio in different samples rates and I've never been able to fix the problem.

Usually by the end of the song, the footage falls behind about 3 frames. The work-around I came up with is once I get the audio and video in my timeline, I line the song up in the beginning, then I slice the footage into 4 equal cuts (don't touch the audio). The 1st quarter stays where it is, the 2nd quarter gets moved forward one frame, the 3rd quarter 2 frames, the 4th quarter 3 frames. As long as the song is around 3:30 - 4:30 minutes long, this technique keeps everything lined up. I usually have about 4 different camera angles for each song performance so it's easy to cut around those slices.

yeh mine is off by WAY more than that, thanks though

it starts to fall off sync (audibly) about every 15 seconds, which means its losing about 1/2 frames during those intervals

Also note... people are shooting these music videos more and more without time code/sync lock on the audio playback device. If you are using a CD player, MP3 player, IPOD, IPAD, DJ gear, or other non-sync audio playback you may have a simple drift problem. Some of this stuff has lousy clocking...

Do the video clips have any rough reference audio from the shoot, or are only working with the audio from the master track? Also note that FCP does not like audio unless it's AIFF, even though it "accepts' most audio file types. So before I started chasing time code issues, I'd check to see what the song was played on on set.

cheers
geo

Back