• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing .mts from Panasonic AG-AF100

Hi, I am going to be editing a film from .mts files shot on a Panasonic AG-AF100.

Is there a nice recommended computer system/program set up that others have had great success with, that can be retrieved on a modest budget?

I am worried my current PC with 2GB ram/Dual Core/Premiere Pro CS4 may not be able to handle it, as I am seeing the lag playback occurring on VLC. With HDV it wasn't a problem, but I know I need a faster set up. What would good specs be for a possible update?

I am open to all suggestions here, even if going with a mac computer with final cut pro would be recommended.

I just want to edit on a system and program that has a modest budget, and will give me the least amount of issues/bugs/lag on scrubbing,etc as possible.

Thank you for your time

I would transcode to an intermediary codec, like ProRes 422 on a mac or Cineform's NeoScene on a PC (and I use the Matrox free codec from www.matrox.com because it matches my hardware at work).

I used the Matrox codec for a short I just shot on the AF100 and it edits perfectly fine at 1920x0180 23.976P.

I would transcode to an intermediary codec, like ProRes 422 on a mac or Cineform's NeoScene on a PC (and I use the Matrox free codec from www.matrox.com because it matches my hardware at work).

I used the Matrox codec for a short I just shot on the AF100 and it edits perfectly fine at 1920x0180 23.976P.

I'm pretty sure that if you follow sonnyboo's suggestion, your existing computer will work fine.

Macs are great, and suddenly FCP is inexpensive. Further, allegedly the new version of FCP is a Sony Vegas clone. Vegas is the software I use because it's so intuitive. Vegas only works on PC's though (unless you run bootcamp) so if you want go with Vegas, that's also a good choice. Mac Pros are pricey but beautiful.

Personally, I would stick with what you have for this project making sure you have enough hard drive space so they're less than half full while using an intermediate like Cineform, etc. These AVI files will be large, so the hard drive situation needs to be addressed. 1 operating system drive and one project drive at a minimum.

This will buy you time to see what FCPX is all about (and the rest of us) which is coming out in June. The hardware requirements will probably mean a new Mac - and that is always pricey. CS5.5 also requires various levels of higher end PC's in order to run as designed.

I have windows vista, I'd like to just get what I need, like more ram or a better video card, etc, I just don't know the technical specs that I need to tell a computer guy what to do to the computer. What are the specs I should get to get it where I can edit .mts in CS4 without an issue with scrubbing and all that. I don't want to convert the files, or buy a mac.

I have windows vista, I'd like to just get what I need, like more ram or a better video card, etc, I just don't know the technical specs that I need to tell a computer guy what to do to the computer. What are the specs I should get to get it where I can edit .mts in CS4 without an issue with scrubbing and all that. I don't want to convert the files, or buy a mac.

An intermediate codec will make it easier for your computer to deal with editing with the system you have right now.

If you're running vista, your motherboard has older socket types limiting your processor choices. How much RAM do you have right now?

okay so I have a 32 bit Windows Vista and with 3GB RAM, and a Duel Core Processor 2.30 GHZ. I should get all those up right?

I am okay now with converting the files for Premiere PRO CS4, what is the best way to go about doing this, in other words, what's the best format and program to use so to not lose any quality and keep everything the same?

I also need to export OMF files from PPCS4, it allows you to do this correct?

appreciate all the help so far.

After research, I'm just going to get a new computer, but it's tough deciding on something with a budget. It seems that for under 1000 I can get an HP or Dell PC desktop minus the monitor since I have one...with some customized specs that match CS5 requirements, but then I read posts that indicate necessities on buying something double or triple the price with more advanced specs for video editing. The same thing happened when I bought my computer two years ago to handle editing HDV footage better on CS3. I spent under 500 and never had an issue computer related(just related to the bugs of Premiere CS3).

So I'm at a wall on what to do. I know if I purchase the modest man's editing machine for .mts footage on CS5 I'll be fine, but I know it won't last as long as one that would cost triple the price. I don't edit much, and make a film every year or sometimes less. For people that edit massive amounts of footage nonstop, I understand the necessity to purchase an expensive mean machine for editing.

Yes I know this stuff has been beaten to death on these boards.

Why don't you at least try a free trial of Cineform, as Sonnyboo and Brian suggested, and see if the results are sufficient for you?

If you end up getting a new PC you probably want to make sure the RAM is expandable to about 12GB, has at least an i5 processor, and check the CS5 list for graphics cards if you're interested in using CS5 to it's full potential. Good luck either way.

Back