Editing Help Hardware Software

I am shooting a full length movie, with no special effects, 95% dialogue inside discussion piece. I want to research my editing solutions. A documentary I shot years ago was on a Apple G4 with adobe premier I bought from Promax in LA, worked out wonderfully. Now, I understand the options are greater. I have been a professional photographer for years, and work with photoshop everyday. I would like simple but elegant titles with little to no animation, and lots of room to add special sound effects, work with the dialogue track. I look forward to reading opinions.
Thanks
VOWS

I would like simple but elegant titles with little to no animation, and lots of room to add special sound effects, work with the dialogue track.

Premiere Pro should suit you fine.
You might want to get an audio program like Audition or Pro Tools though.
Or you can hire an audio person.

How about video cards, do you go with double monitor, min and max storage, the apple vs mac? Or has basic editing become so understood that any computer with a program provide me the out put to a master dvd? This I don't know.
Thanks
Vows

What do you have in the way of speakers, an audio interface, etc. required for audio post sound editing? All those thing are going to be needed for you to get even passable sound that will translate.

A basic Pro Tools system capable of doing audio post will cost about $1k. Additional software will be about another $1k to $2k depending upon how deeply you want to get into it.

Of course ,expending those funds hiring someone with the proper equipment, knowledge and experience will most probably yield far, far better results.

How about video cards, do you go with double monitor, min and max storage, the apple vs mac? Or has basic editing become so understood that any computer with a program provide me the out put to a master dvd? This I don't know.
Thanks
Vows

Lots of variables here. First of all, what are you going to be shooting on? Different computers and different software handle different footage differently. Before we can get specific, we need to know what kind of footage you'll be working with.

You've got a few other questions that I can address, though. First -- Mac vs PC? I've seen (and taken part in) the Mac/PC debate numerous times on this forum, and the only consensus I've ever seen is that we pretty much all agree that THEY BOTH WILL DO THE JOB JUST FINE. In my opinion, the important distinction is that the simple advantage of PCs is that they're incredibly less expensive, while the downside is that they're easy to break (if you don't know what you're doing). That's an extreme over-simplification, though -- there are numerous possible reasons why you might want one over the other.

Double-monitor? I personally don't see why it's that big a deal. Plenty of people swear by it. It's been a long time since I used a double-monitor, but I don't recall feeling like it was much of a time-saver. Just my opinion, but I think this is more of a personal preference. I'm perfectly happy with one big-ass monitor.

I'd answer your question about video cards, but that's not really my department. Hopefully, someone else will step in. :)

Back