• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Edited timeline in 720p need to switch back to 1080p

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question....

I did a series of short promo videos for a client that were going to be used on phones, iPads and Internet.
I shot everything in 1080p but when it came to editing I used a 720p timeline in FCX so final files would be easier and quicker to transfer etc

The client was happy with everything bit has now come back and asked if I could send 1080p versions as they have now decided to show them on a TV as well.

Can I copy the timeline project and paste it into a 1080p timeline or would that not work image quality wise?

Any help would be great.

As I say I'm using FCX

I don't know how FCX works, but in FCP and Adobe Premiere you can easily do this:
-Create a new sequence/timeline with 1080p and whatever fits your desired workflow.
-Copy the entire contents of your 720p timeline and paste it in the new 1080p timeline.
-Now make sure to bring all video file back to 100% scale, if this hasn't been done automatically.
-Since it was originally shot on 1080p and you are using your original footage, there shouldn't be a problem. If you are not using your original footage anymore, then you will need to redo some things.

I am hoping it is as easy as just takin the footage from the 720 timeline and just pasting it into a 1080 timeline, just concerned that the original footage that was shot in 1080 would have been rendered and compressed to fit the 720 timeline so of I take that footage and put it in a 1080 timeline it will try and upscale the 720 footage rather than link to the original footage?

I also don't know about FCX (and I wouldn't be surprised if you'd wish we'd "quit helpin'" then), but in Adobe Premiere you can shoot 1080, as you have, edit it in whatever "knock down" version Premiere uses, but you have to SELECT what output you want, 720 in your case.

If FCX is similar then all of your material is already there in 1080.
All you gotta do is open the file, save the working file as version 2, and then save the rez for output as 1080 at whatever frame rate you want.

All you gotta do is change the output parameters.

If they're similar programs.

I am hoping it is as easy as just takin the footage from the 720 timeline and just pasting it into a 1080 timeline, just concerned that the original footage that was shot in 1080 would have been rendered and compressed to fit the 720 timeline so of I take that footage and put it in a 1080 timeline it will try and upscale the 720 footage rather than link to the original footage?

Did you render and compress the original footage to 720p? If you didn't I wouldn't expect FCX to do that except on export, so you should be fine. Why not just give it a try? Should just take a minute and give you a better answer than all of us guessing.

Back