Dvd... Rip?

So question for everybody to debate.

Is DVD and the current way we distribute films (rental/retail) soon to be a thing of the past. Can it survive the new downloads, TV on PC, Broadband PC broadcast and all these other new technologies or will HD DVD and Blue Ray secure the DVD format for years to come.

I still prefer content on DVD until something better quality and reliability comes along...I don't think online distribution is there yet...too many variables for transmission.

See i'm a sucker for collecting. I want a DVD or CD with it's nice cover etc. (Okay I know what I said about piracy on another thread but work with me on this)

This is the reason I havent downloaded loads of MP3's. I still want the CD in its cover

Agreed.

DVD, even though the industry already considers it outdated with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD coming out this year, is still the best quality "physical" format still available.

I look back at all the different formats released over the years, and I suddenly realize that I've paid for the SAME movie titles over and over again. First, VHS. Second, LaserDisc. Now, DVD. Next, some HD format.

When am I going to learn? :hmm:

When am I going to learn?

The day they manage to store information at a quantum level and your entire back catelogue is encoded into a single drop of water, that burns it permanently into your central nervous system.

Of course some us will be using quicktime water and some will be using windows media; and all of us will wonder whether by letting Bill Gates diddle with our DNA means that he now has a backdoor into our subconcious. :lol:

clive said:
The day they manage to store information at a quantum level and your entire back catelogue is encoded into a single drop of water, that burns it permanently into your central nervous system.

Of course some us will be using quicktime water and some will be using windows media; and all of us will wonder whether by letting Bill Gates diddle with our DNA means that he now has a backdoor into our subconcious. :lol:

You laugh now...

You should apply for that patent now...so when it comes to pass, you can wait a couple of years, then sue them for IP infringement and get $x for every unit they've distributed.

I think you have nothing to worry about regarding DVDs. After all, people still buy movies on VHS! Plus next gen DVD players will have no problem playing current DVDs.

I just get the feeling that as film makers DVD distibution (the model as it stands) for small indies may be on the decline. With new technology and companies like Google selling Indie films online the days of us having to give up a large % may be coming to an end.

I personally think DVD will be around for at least 10 more years, but most likely in the place VHS sits now.

Think for a minute- if you were a wholesale equipment manufacturer for consumer electronics, been in business since VHS had it's day. Everybody had came and bought a VHS player. then the sales dropped and the prices declined. Then DVD came along and everybody came runnin' back for more- 2 years later the market is saturated again and the sales drop.... you think any equipment manufacturers are going to try and stop a new format?

I don't think so- everytime a new format comes along, everyone has to buy a new entertainment unit, a new collection of thier favorite movies on the new format, and hell, why not an HD-TV while we're upgrading?

It just seems logical from the manufacturer's point of view, and from the Hollywood perspective they might be able to slap new copyright protection on thier discs with new technology and save the 1% they bitch about in pirated losses (which after two months will be cracked again).

Back