Duct tape and broom handle

So my intention in my upcoming feature is to use two, or possibly 3 seprerate home made boom mics, out of principly dollar store materials.

My vision is to use a cassette stereo, a digital voice recorder, and anywhere frpm 1 to 3 laptops to collect a variety of audio signals, and then sequence them in modplug tracker to achieve to best result possible.

Because most of the filming will be outdoors, I think I can get around the wind-noise problem by buying cheap feather dusters and either shimming off a piece of the feather duster to secure the microphone, or else just use clip on mics and simply clip them on to the interior of the feather duster.

What do you guys think?

P1050348.jpg

You could even go wireless by having the actors have their cell phones in their pocket on speakerphone, and then, in a quiet closet, just tape your microphone to another cell phone, put that phone on speakerphone, and record the cellphone speaker into a H4.....WAIT!!!, the H4 has built in mics so you could just tape the H4 to the cell phone. Heck, some phones even have built in recorders so you could bypass the H4 altogether. In fact, with 4 Iphones you could do both wireless audio and shoot the movie. That would be awesome.

1. Before continuing, conduct an audio test with the equipment you have today in some of the interior spaces you have planned, ASAP!

How does it sound on playback?
Pretty echo-y?

If so...

2. Consider sound absorbing materials like are rugs, especially for hardwood floors, and conforters/blankets draped over echo-prone surfaces if not suspended off camera to absorb tight-space echo.

Test.
Test.
Test.

You could even go wireless by having the actors have their cell phones in their pocket on speakerphone, and then, in a quiet closet, just tape your microphone to another cell phone, put that phone on speakerphone, and record the cellphone speaker into a H4.....WAIT!!!, the H4 has built in mics so you could just tape the H4 to the cell phone. Heck, some phones even have built in recorders so you could bypass the H4 altogether. In fact, with 4 Iphones you could do both wireless audio and shoot the movie. That would be awesome.

:lol:

So my intention in my upcoming feature is to use two, or possibly 3 seprerate home made boom mics, out of principly dollar store materials.

Why do you need so many "mics"? One is enough for 95% of most situations. And you can make a microphone? Out of stuff from a Dollar Store? I'm impressed! Even McGyver would have trouble with that!

My vision is to use a cassette stereo, a digital voice recorder, and anywhere frpm 1 to 3 laptops to collect a variety of audio signals,

What do you mean by "a variety of audio signals"? All you should be trying to capture on-set is dialog and room tones. And a cassette? You are asking for serious drift problems, not to mention the huge amounts of tape hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

and then sequence them in modplug tracker to achieve to best result possible.

And why is the Modplug Tracker of any use to you?

Because most of the filming will be outdoors, I think I can get around the wind-noise problem by buying cheap feather dusters and either shimming off a piece of the feather duster to secure the microphone, or else just use clip on mics and simply clip them on to the interior of the feather duster.

In order to kill wind noise, you have to decelerate airflow while not blocking the sound waves. The duster seems like a good idea, but the fabric that holds it together may be quite dense, which will muffle to the sound. And how do you keep the duster from flapping around and making noise? Once in the duster how will you know if the recorder is actually operating? How will you know that the mic on the recorder is actually aimed at the actors? How are you going to monitor the audio? Who is swinging the boom?

Putting a digital recorder in a dust mop (or a piece of one) sounds like a good idea, and there is the possibility you could capture almost passable dialog, but you have a lot of problems to work out beforehand.

@gp - - I think this could be really useful too...

4cd981579813c_71936n.jpg

Back