• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DSLRs w/ flip-out LCD screens

Canon 600D and 60D, Nikon D5100 (and possibly others, I'm not too familiar with Nikon's lineup). The Panasonic GH1 and GH2 are not DSLRs but often get lumped in with them, and have flip-out screens.

Why did you decide on the Nikon? In my experience, Nikon's video implementation hasn't been as good as its Panasonic and Canon counterparts. I'm not criticizing your choice, I'm sure it's a great camera. If I was purchasing a camera for stills only I would almost certainly go with a Nikon. I was just wondering how you came to choose Nikon over the other choices.

Why did you decide on the Nikon? In my experience, Nikon's video implementation hasn't been as good as its Panasonic and Canon counterparts. I'm not criticizing your choice, I'm sure it's a great camera. If I was purchasing a camera for stills only I would almost certainly go with a Nikon. I was just wondering how you came to choose Nikon over the other choices.

Sorry. My lawyer has asked me to remain silent on such things.

:P

Seriously? Same sensor as the D7000, it's Nikon so those lenses are everywhere (it's all about good glass), the price is right where I need it to be ($899 at Best Buy and Fry's for the kit), I sent the specs to my DP friend John Tulin who gave me his blessing (he's way more of a stickler about such things) and it will be worlds better than what I've been using for the past few years (HV20) so for me and my purposes, I'm pretty sure it will make me very happy. Oh! It has the flip-out screen which is key for shooting movies.

There is always ALWAYS going to be a reason to choose another camera, just like computers and software. By next year there will be something else that is better better and better. This is the trap of technology, right?

For now, this is the rig I'm getting a good vibe from. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and feel differently, but for the time being, I'll stick with it.

If someone here wants to talk me off the ledge, by all means you are welcome to! Maybe I'm missing something. That could be entirely possible!

Anyone here have a D5100? Happy with it? Dissatisfied? Buyer's remorse? Give it up, yo. :cool:

* test with the D7000 which has the same sensor as the D5100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNKtFkX29IE

And here's one on Vimeo, but shot on the D5100
http://vimeo.com/21929047

Last edited:
Back