DSLR vs "Straight" Camcorders

Hello everyone,
I was hoping you could do me a big favour...
For my final year project at university I made a series of promotional videos using both Digital SLR's and HDV camcorders. In my report I need some secondary research... That's where you guys come in.

Basically all I need you to do is watch this video which shows the Canon 7D and the XHA1 in a series of test shots. Then pick which camera you felt performed best overall and why.

http://youtu.be/sI3KSEy6SKs

You'd be helping me out a lot and if there's anything I can do to return a favour I will!

Thanks!
Tom.

Quite frankly you can quote me all you want ZenSteve... but there's one you forgot, in the description of the video it says:

"If you still feel that the video is far too unjust, don't comment. Simple as that".

By doing by doing so you have wasted both yours and my time. Although I'm guessing you have significantly more time to waste seeing as every time I check the same people are STILL online.

Also in the description I mention that this is for a report and all I keep reading from you guys is stuff I already know that will be going into a 10000 word report and not a 5 minute video!!!
This was such an insignificant part of a much bigger thing, so that I couldn't care less about the video because I've never done one before and will never need to again. It was just simply a collection of opinions based on what the audience saw in the video. And you guys took it WAY too seriously.

I'm going to come back to this in a few weeks time because I don't have time to answer these points anymore and I'll get on with this work. Hopefully some answers that I intended to get will begin to correlate and this will actually end up rather useful.

You know.. the only person really getting hostile in this thread is you Tom, the OP... there has been a lot of constructive criticism here, maybe it's not what you wanted to hear, but that's all it really is.

If you don't have time to answer the posts, then don't, simple as that.

Anyway, 7D still wins in basically every situation you used in your (flawed) tests.

If you had experience shooting anything other than rivers and trees...
My latest does have trees, but sadly no rivers. :(
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=315818#post315818

FWIW, I watched a few minutes of Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' on The Food Network and it was shot a high shutter speed both indoors and out.
I chuckled at the crisp, choppy images. :)

It was just simply a collection of opinions based on what the audience saw in the video. And you guys took it WAY too seriously.
Will you please give us a little more headzup next time?

Can you not tell we're interested in you becoming the best possible at whatever you're doing?
Next time tell us it's a chump project at the onset and we'll easily scale our responses accordingly. :yes:

GL with the report.
(I really don't want to see it. :lol:)

And you'd think Alton Brown would know better, considering he was originally a cinematographer and is pretty hands-on with the production of his shows. Maybe there was a reason for it in that particular episode?

You guys are foodie freaks :lol:
(I hate eating, but my son LOVES! the show and network.)

Anywho... found the episode.
See for yourself.
See whatchathink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDr1Hy1tmTY

Nah, I watched it on ComCast cable TV.
It looked choppy from the high shutter speed there, other episodes at YouTube didn't have that same effect, so what you're seeing there isn't any encoding issue.

It's a high shutter speed.

I think either they had to go with an emergency piece of equipment or the producers/director/creative powers that be wanted to try something.
I don't follow the show regularly to know any more than guesses.

Just a coincidental something to chuckle over. :)

Back