• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DSLR Film Look - How To

Hey folks,

This past summer I embarked on a crowdfunding campaign where I ended up raising $19,200.

Throughout the campaign we often got asked what did we shoot the footage with. Upon answering with a 5D we would get bombarded with questions about settings and lenses and everything else. So I've made this little tutorial that talks about the basics of getting the "film look"

This is what our footage looked like.

8342333536_7b82cf983b_c.jpg

Here is the tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnL4Z0ebcBc

I must say, I'm not a professional, everything I've learned has been through making mistakes and researching ways to correct those mistakes. So if you hear me making some incorrect terminology, you know why. haha :)

Lewis

Last edited:
I have another video for you all! It's also crazy to think that since I made the first post on this thread the community on my channel has shot up from 150 subscribers to 13,000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ZzB9NTBkM

Cool videos :)

About number 1: you can open 2 windows: 1 with waveforms and one with the actual video.
That will save you a lot of clicking and gives you the opportunity to see what is changing in the image while you drag the curve.

Btw, I was intrigued: why did you try to make the RGB waveforms 'identical'?
If they truly are identical, the image is monochromous: only greys.
I agree it resulted in a nice look, but I'm curious about the idea behind it.

Cool videos :)

About number 1: you can open 2 windows: 1 with waveforms and one with the actual video.
That will save you a lot of clicking and gives you the opportunity to see what is changing in the image while you drag the curve.

Btw, I was intrigued: why did you try to make the RGB waveforms 'identical'?
If they truly are identical, the image is monochromous: only greys.
I agree it resulted in a nice look, but I'm curious about the idea behind it.

It was something that Steve Hullfish mentioned about balancing colours before moving onto actual grading.

Back