• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Dropping Out: The Documentary

Was thinking of doing a documentary, and High School dropouts crossed my mind.

Being one personally, I can relate to the topic.

I just am not sure how the people would take it and react to it.

Any thoughts?

I'm a pseudo dropout, in the sense that I pretty much stopped going my senior year and only got my diploma because I took computer courses at the end of the year and pretty much finished an entire year of school in a week.

I think it's an okay idea, but... what exactly would you be documenting? What's the 'point' of the doc?

Sounds like a good idea.

Would it work to choose one high school dropout who is 50+, one who's recently dropped out and one who is still in school but headed for dropping out.

I think it would be interesting to trace back the older guy, going all the way back and interviewing classmates and teachers and exploring his life after dropping out whilst also evaluating the job prospects of the recent drop out and the fears/struggles of the not-so-good student.

Long sentence.

I think you might look into different dropouts in different kinds of schools. Inner city, suburbs, parochials, charter. Do research on the rates of dropouts in those schools. You could talk to guidance counselors. Where I live there is a center for kids who have messed up so much that this school is the last stop before they are actually expelled, maybe there is something like that where you are.

There are lots of ways to approach this subject.

-- spinner :cool:

I think you might look into different dropouts in different kinds of schools. Inner city, suburbs, parochials, charter. Do research on the rates of dropouts in those schools. You could talk to guidance counselors. Where I live there is a center for kids who have messed up so much that this school is the last stop before they are actually expelled, maybe there is something like that where you are.

There are lots of ways to approach this subject.

-- spinner :cool:

We do have something like that here, kind of a school for the troublemakers more or less.

I think you might look into different dropouts in different kinds of schools.

I whole heartedly agree. Where I live (the Sticks) we had a few kids drop out to help on the farm, as opposed to the inner city where someone is likely to drop out to join a gang (just an example, no actual numbers to support any of this.)

I whole heartedly agree. Where I live (the Sticks) we had a few kids drop out to help on the farm, as opposed to the inner city where someone is likely to drop out to join a gang (just an example, no actual numbers to support any of this.)

Yeah, the reasons are endless. Personally, I dropped out of school due to family issues that were going on at the time, but I got my GED right away, and have gotten back into studying (Screenwriting/Film) since.

I know several others who dropped out for reasons varying from medical issue to high school just wasn't for them. All of whom are now successful.

Back