Dramas and comedies?

Why is it that 99% of all independent films are either dramas or comedies?

I suppose that it is easier and cheaper to make films in those genres, but I think that might just be a cop out. In my observations we hear more about the indies that step away from those genres and into the more risky territories of filmmaking.

Before you guys maul me on the message board just keep in mind that this is my observation and I state nothing here as fact.

William J Long III

I think 75% are fan films, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just wish there were more productions with original ideas out there.

the internet is filled with fan films
the festivals are filled with drama and comedies.

but to be honest.. there are only two types of films
drama or comedies. doesnt matter if its sci-fi, horror, a farce, or experimental, it still falls under these types.

Point taken

I never really saw fan films as truly independent projects. First of all if there were no hollywood influence there would be no film and most fan films I've seen do little to extend the mythos that they carve themselves from.
I was just having the conversation about how Sci-fi really didn't exist last night, but I honestly disagree about the horror thing. I do believe that Horror is a genre by itself, due to the fact that Horror films themselves are rarely dramatic or comedic. Beyond that I am in total agreement.
I asked question about dramas and comedies, because I am trying to create something that I have never seen done well on the indie circuit. I am trying to create an action-adventure serial. It has gathered a bit of steam, but is still pretty far from production. Warner Brothers has asked for a copy of the scripts to review, but I have heard nothing back from them.
In the end I would much rather have the whole project fall into the indie category just so that I can have the level of control and input that I want over the way it progresses.

I've rambled on again,
William J Long III

What's the point in analyzing the percentage of indie film genre's? Are you statisticans? Make whatever you want - let everyone else do what they want. And move on...
:D

The Problem

The problem with the statistics is that it seems that most indie filmmakers are taking the easy way out by creating projects that require little to no real brain power to create on a low budget. (this is of course my own opinion).

We all know that we can make a drama or comedy on a small budget with no problem, so the level of fear and doubt is gone. My issue is that if the indie circuit is where new ideas are hatched, then why don't we see any? Why is everyone following suit and making the same films we've already seen. I know that big business does that only to make a profit and while that's not a valid excuse in my view there is absolutely no reason for progressive ideas in filmmaking to not happen in the indie world.

Honestly, if indie filmmakers actually manage to make it into the main circuit I don't see film changing in any positive way. If you follow the formula in the face of the indie circuit your actions will be utterly predictable in the big-budget department. Meaning more cookie cutter films based on pre-existing properties and absolutely no originality.
Personally, I can't see the art in that.

William J Long III

I think most are horror films as well. Myself, am working on an action film that I am hoping, like everyone else, will catch an eye or two and show my talent. Back to the subject, I think most are horror, from what I have seen so far. It just seems easier to scare the pants off someone then make them cry or laugh. I think comedic dialog is very hard to direct and requires alot of takes. Over and over and over before you get what you want out of the setup to the punch lines. Now in horror I have noticed that if you have some sort of, how can i put it.....spooky type music i guess, playing and some killer or monster jumping at the camera with all they got. The people will jump out of their skin. Now this is only my opinion and I am a rookie...hahaha! Feel free to comment

David Eugene

Follow the money

In defence of independent film makers who make straight drama, I'd just like to say that as main stream film making is turning out CGI driven epics and formula action pictures on an almost daily basis, making a piece of dialogue driven drama IS being independent.

However, economics pays a big part in these decisions. If you've only got enough to money to put petrol in vehicles, feed the crew and pay for tape stock, then you are unlikey to do any car chases, or gun fights, both of which need expensive, professional help. On the other hand, straight drama allows you to use the resources and locations that you have to hand. Ironically, I would say that for a writer/director straight drama represents a more difficult product to create than almost any other, because without all the adrenaline producing tricks of action films (constant camera movement, guns and driving soundtrack etc) you have to concentrate on the getting the most from your actors abilities to create emotional resonances for your audience. It just requires more directorial skill to create a good product.

One of the factors that drive the indie horror is also an ecomonic one. Horror is one of the few genres you can shoot with an unknown cast, with poor equipment, a foul script and still sell into the global direct to DVD market for reasonable money. In fact, you may even make a cult classic and get proper cinema distribution (almost regardless of production values).

On the other hand I think every film maker should make what interests them most. I'm mainly interested in telling stories and working with actors to tell them. I'm also interested in photography, in particular landscapes. This tends to be a dominant theme in my films, stories about people, acting driven pieces set in interesting landscapes.

I think with indie films, it doesn't really matter what we make as long as we carry on making it. Hope your action serial works out. It sounds like a project that really inspires you and I admire that in a film maker almost more than anything else.

I agree with you clive. I think it is most important as an indie to make a quality picture that will accomplish the set goal of your genre. As for whether you are enterng that film up against a million other dramas or comedies or horror flicks, well I don't think it matters. I certainly never get tired of watching quality films, short or feature, black and white or color, horror or comedy, as long as they are GOOD. I never get tired of laughing at new material or getting teary eyed during those magical emotional moments.

But if you are truly driven to succeed financially from your independent film and want to make a studio-type film with an independent budget, well you're going to have to do a lot more planning as far as creating the package for your investors than you would for a studio. You will need to know what genre is warm to hot, and try to tap into that. I don't like that idea right now, I have way too much to write from the heart, and I am way to focused on making several films that I feel will be quality and deserving to cop out to a money-making scheme. Not that I never will, but I feel the voice inside me is stronger that the will to make a specific genre cash-cow.

And ultimately, there is nothing that says an indie can't make a drama or a comedy that is a cash cow, there are quite a few successstories that have,but there have also been many that have tried and failed. Which brings me to the first point I made: the goal is to make the best quality film you can and worry about what you're up against once you're at the festival.

I'd say stick to your guns. Studios spend ridiculous amounts of money creating spectacle, and with the ropes and blue screens and CGI and choreography, they've turned fighting into a form of dance.

Shooting digital you can get really intimate with the action and use it to make a statement. With a great coordinator and good stuntmen, you can work wonders.

Check out the film Action USA, shot in the 80s in Waco TX. A couple filmmakers got a bunch of stuntmen together and let them act, resulting in a film shot for $500,000 with stunts like you wouldn't believe.

>>they've turned fighting into a form of dance. <<

Technically there really isn't a live difference ;). Fencing, for example, is where ballet took much of its footwork from. Now movie sword fighting is another matter....

Back