• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DPs Advice on 1 camera shoot vs 2 camera shoot

I a Co-Producing a film in the UK and I have a question about shooting either with 1 or 2 cameras.

I started a post earlier which will give you some context.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=47480

Here are the film details:
84 pages

1 Week Rehearsal (actors rehearsing full time for 6 days)
1 Week Tech Scout and Blocking/Rehearsing on location
2 Week Shoot (12 days)
8 days in the woods and 4 of those are overnight shoots (Lots of walking both day and night and a LOT of action/dialog around the camp fire both day and night.)​
2 Days - 2 different houses​
2 Days - 2 different I/E cars​
1 Week (6 Days) scheduled for pickups. It rains a lot in the UK and wanted to be safe.

Lighting style:
EXT Day shots would be lit with negative fill, bounce and overall natural light control. We will use some HMI's for real fill but not too much to save time.

EXT Night shots we do not want to skimp on. The DP wants to use China Balls, other lights and some fog.

So we were thinking that 2 cameras would help with shooting 6-9 pages each day faster but others think differently. Anyone with experience doing so have any advice???

What we may do is use a 2nd camera for the houses and car scenes as there are different cast at each location and we can have 2 shooting units. But what about the bulk 8 days in the woods???

Well you partly know my thoughts. But another thought from what you've just said. While I think a second unit is a good idea, you need to make sure that the second unit director and camera operator are aligned with their thinking and style as that of the main unit so that these shots don't end up looking too different. Clearly the Director can't be in two places at once. Also you would need a second set of sound guys and lighting equipment....

Believe me it can work with two cameras, but it is harder to light for two cameras.

BTW, Jax_rox is a DP, and I'm a wannabe DP :D

I've already shared my thoughts with you on this one. As Brendan mentions, I am a DP :).

To expand somewhat - remember that you'll need at least a second operator and Focus Puller on top of the second full camera kit.

It can work, and it can be fine. Shooting opposite angles on two cameras at the same time rarely works, and if it does it generally only does either on big budgets with lots of lighting and grip equipment, and/or on genre's/lighting styles where everything is relatively flat/bright/naturalistic.

You should really talk to your DP about how he plans it, and how he plans to shoot. I know if it was my shoot and I knew I could pull off dual cameras, I wouldn't want my Producer telling me 'no' simply because they went on an internet forum and was told it wasn't ideal.

EXT NIGHT shots are going to be your real tough ones. Night shoots are awful for everybody involved, and everyone is always really tired. Expect less to get done unless you're paying people their full rate incl. overtime/night loadings. Even then, in general night shoots tend to be a bit slower than day shoots, so keep that in mind. Also, expect that your DP will ask to keep the HMIs for the night stuff, so perhaps factor in a generator for the outdoor night scenes.

Don't forget your camera tests and camera prep days. You might want to test your 2-camera setups to see how quickly you can pull it off, if it does indeed save time, if it will be worth it, if the lighting will be compromised etc.

Talk to the editor as well... they'll be the one who ends up with twice as much footage (how's your budget -- time/money -- for post?).

Probaby not quite twice as much, due to the fact that another angle is covered for the take. But yes, there probably would be more footage than otherwise shooting with just one

Probaby not quite twice as much, due to the fact that another angle is covered for the take. But yes, there probably would be more footage than otherwise shooting with just one

Depends on how it's shot... if you're getting separate framings (1 closeup, 1 mid on the same actor) to make the lighting easier, you'll have double the footage. If you're getting both sides of a conversation, it can save time in the shoot and increase the spontaneity of the performance you're cutting together (are you miking both actors as well with their own mics?). You'll increase the time it takes to light the set though as every adjustment you make to the light on one actor will alter the lighting on the second that needs to be addressed as well.

Both are legitimate solutions, I've simply found it faster and easier to concentrate on one at a time to get each shot the best I can. Full attention to the task at hand.

Thanks for the continued advice.

The director will be editing so that solves this issue. All there is to do now is meet with the DP which we will be doing in 3 weeks so this will be taken care of. I will post the outcome if anyone is interested.

Thanks again

Back