Downloading YouTube clips?

Not really an "indie film making" question, but thought I'd ask here.

Is there a way to download a YouTube video, and edit it?

My friend is putting together a presentation for one of his college classes. He's sent me links to about 5 youtube videos on the subject of his presentation. He has asked if I can take the videos and edit them together in a way, like from 1:20 to 2:30, and next video 1 ssc to 45 seconds etc.... So that he can use them as a visual aid in his presentation.

I have blackmagic designs video capture card in my Mac, and was trying to avoid having to output over hdmi from my laptop, and capture on my Mac, through FCP.

My original question, can I download a video file of YouTube clips for editing?

Thanks for the help.

Perfect! Thanks guys. Appriciate the help. He just called and asked about this. I'm at work, and was looking at YouTube.com on my ipad, but would only allow me to access the mobile version.

I downloaded the HD YouTube downloader.

Now can anyone recommend a way to convert the flv files to something I can edit? I downloaded what looks to be a good program, but its $35 to unlock so I don't get a water mark in the middle of the screen.

I have mpeg streamclip, and compressor, but they don't seem to recognize the files.

Thanks again

alltubedownloader.com
Download and install the downloader. When you go to any video hosting site a banner will appear above the small playback window asking if you want to save the video clip. You can select the output file format from all of the current popular options (mp4, avi, flv, etc). You can download 14 files per day with the free version and there is no watermark.

Disclaimer: Always get permission from the owner of the intellectual property that you want to copy for the use that you intend.

as sonnyboo said, mozilla firefox is good for downloading youtube videos...
there are alot of programs for it, that still works.

As for chrome, i have not found one lately that will work at all. :(

Back