Download vs DVD

Has anyone had more luck with either having their movie available as a download vs the traditional DVD?

We had our movie produced into a DVD but are now thinking about going download also.

Any input would be appreciated!

We made substantially more from traditional DVD release and have made little to nothing from downloads. This was of course of the last 5-6 years and things have changed.

Downloads are an increasing trend with no sign of tapering, but continuing. This is also bad for the indie filmmaker because there is a lot less chance to make $$$.

I released my movie 2 1/2 years ago. I had like 1 digital download for every 100 DVD sales, although I was not using iTunes or CreateSpace for digital downloads. I used FlickRocket via a link from my home site.

BTW what format (all the specs - codec, frame rate, screen size, etc, etc) does iTunes require for digital movies?

Sometime within the next 10 years DVD's will be all but obsolete. That's what they are saying. Currently only half of NetFlix rentals are DVD's.

You'll probably have to go through a third party to get onto iTunes.
Oh I know that. Apple won't deal direct with filmmakers. You gotta go through Tunecore , Stone Henge Productions , or whoever else. The reason I ask is that I want to free up about 1 TB of drive space by erasing the uncompressed version of my movie. Before I do that I want to export my movie in whatever format iTune's requires in case I get my flick on iTunes.

Oh I know that. Apple won't deal direct with filmmakers. You gotta go through Tunecore , Stone Henge Productions , or whoever else. The reason I ask is that I want to free up about 1 TB of drive space by erasing the uncompressed version of my movie. Before I do that I want to export my movie in whatever format iTune's requires in case I get my flick on iTunes.

uncompressed quicktime... I just did this for someone.

I'd NEVER do that. I still have all the raw unedited footage and audio tracks from both my films sitting on 1TB hard drives that about 3 or 4 times a year I plug in, spin up, and put basck on ther shelf. With a TB of disk space $99 I never delete ANYTHING anymore.

Back