• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Don't Let Me Go - Detroit 48hr Horror Project

Hey, all! Figured I'd put up a link to a video I worked on for a 48hr festival recently.

Here it is.

Comments and critiques welcome. Pretty proud of how it turned out, all things and limitations considered. It managed to win the audience award for our group, so that's something. Anywho, enjoy!

Very nice. I dug the look. Kinda twilight zone-y, film grain. The sound design/music rocked as well. Overall, I'm blown away you made that in 48hrs.

Very nice. I dug the look. Kinda twilight zone-y, film grain. The sound design/music rocked as well. Overall, I'm blown away you made that in 48hrs.

Thank you very much! Yeah, we were shooting for a bit of a classic feel visually, and were very fortunate on the music front, as a very talented local musician agreed to work with us and compose our score. She does phenomenal work.

One of the finest shorts I've seen in a long while. Complete story. Some great shots...

one thing I would have liked... the slow move in from the low angle to the back door that cuts to the MS of the guy on the porch... hold that shot longer and just cut to his CU... that shot was so nice and looked so well that I wanted to be able to explore more of the frame... the lull it creates will help to make your fantastic ending pop even more

Was good. The opening dragged a little but you get that when you don't have enough time to work your magic. Your team produced some good work for the 48hr time period.

PS. It's spelled Writer Director ;)

One of the finest shorts I've seen in a long while. Complete story. Some great shots...

one thing I would have liked... the slow move in from the low angle to the back door that cuts to the MS of the guy on the porch... hold that shot longer and just cut to his CU... that shot was so nice and looked so well that I wanted to be able to explore more of the frame... the lull it creates will help to make your fantastic ending pop even more

Wow, thank you for the high praise!

Yeah, we didn't actually have access to a dolly for the low-angle shot, so last minute I devised a rig out of discarded pizza boxes that worked pretty well, but the director or editor might well have cut the shot before some bumpiness, not exactly sure.

Was good. The opening dragged a little but you get that when you don't have enough time to work your magic. Your team produced some good work for the 48hr time period.

PS. It's spelled Writer Director ;)

Yeah, there is definitely one hell of a steep ramp between a very patient beginning and a roller-coaster ending. It would have been a bit nice if the two equalized a bit, but like you said, it's the nature of the 48hr beast.

Thank you all for the reviews, I appreciate the compliments and critiques!

I liked the opening of the woman waking up and that shot of her POV looking up at the sky was awesome.

I liked how you worked in the neighbor character Dirk because it gave the man a reasonable expectation that it was Dirk at the front door and not the alien.

I liked the flashback of her abduction that was well done and creepy.

Overall I think you and your team did a really good job and the music was excellent - does your composer have a website with some of her work on it?

I liked the opening of the woman waking up and that shot of her POV looking up at the sky was awesome.

I liked how you worked in the neighbor character Dirk because it gave the man a reasonable expectation that it was Dirk at the front door and not the alien.

I liked the flashback of her abduction that was well done and creepy.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Overall I think you and your team did a really good job and the music was excellent - does your composer have a website with some of her work on it?

She's primarily a Pop/Rock musician, but she's talented and versatile enough that she's been able to score for us over the past couple projects and she's been great. I'm not sure is she has a business site per se, but you can get an example of some of her Band stuff at http://www.reverbnation.com/melinamarie

Back