• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DOF

how important do you guys think it is to have a nice shallow depth of field? i think it looks more cinematic am i wrong? but after you work out a clear picture, good lighting, nice color, how big of a difference does a blurry background make?

i guess i'm asking this because obviously i want the cinematic look like everyone else. (using digital)

soon, i'll be buying a canon xh a1. and since i dont have it and havent played with one, idk easy it is to find that dof. should i look into an adapter like a m2 encore or something like that?

any input on the topic of dof, technical or philisophical, let me hear it!

thanks

As I mentioned above, this is not true. With clever lighting focal points and camera placement, you can force an audience to look at what you want them to--just like in the theater.
So can close-ups, he was just saying it was another tool. There's always more than one way, add to that, style, and preference.

So can close-ups, he was just saying it was another tool. There's always more than one way, add to that, style, and preference.

Right, naturally CU's work--I thought we were talking about focusing the viewers attention without DOF or CU. I apologize if what I said was redundant.

Last edited:
Back