Does anyone use Shot Designer?

Looks like an incredible app/program that runs on PCs, Macs, iPads, iPhones and Android phones. Apparently It allows directors to design shots and scenes as simply or complex as desired, create rooms, place furniture, actors and virtual camera icons into the scene, and even animate everything for complex camera moves. If you use it let me know if the PRO version at $19.99 is a must. Here’s a Tutorial on how to use it. Thanks. http://youtu.be/maeTgha3RkA

By itself I think it will be fairly useful, but it really shines when you combine it with their Hollywood Camera Work DVD course, which is brilliant. I firmly believe that every person here should save up the $300 and buy this course because it teaches you how to shoot fantastic-looking easy-to-edit sequences using a minimum of cameras. I've watched the first two DVDs (static cameras) three times through, and the next two (moving cameras) twice.

I will continue to watch repeated viewings to absorb the ridiculous amount of information they provide. It's basically a 4-year camera course crammed into six DVDs and is worth every penny.

The moving-camera DVDs convinced me that I absolutely need a dolly for my feature -- it's not just for moving-camera shots, but shows how to block out a scene where the tracking cameras also double for fixed cameras, drastically cutting down on the number of setups you have to do, while also giving you a lot of moving camera shots that naturally fit into the flow of the scene.

Armed with this information, the Shot Designer app goes from being a nifty little utility to being absolutely crucial in shooting efficiently and preventing you from wading into an editing nightmare later.

I just downloaded it. The pro feature seem like they would be really helpful, but I'll wait until after I play with the free version for awhile before I decide to upgrade or not. There is a $2 app called Storyboarder Toolbox that also looks interesting.

Thanks Escher, I'm familiar with their HCW training videos. The voice is annoying, but the quality of the information in very high. I also suggest it for anyone wanting to bring their production value to the next level.

Back