• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Documentary film 7 years in the making on Kickstarter

Hi all,
I've been shooting a documentary the last 7 years following two families from the day a little girl is born deaf through getting a cochlear implant and learning to hear.
I need help finishing the film and trying to raise funds on Kickstarter.
If you can donate or share, please do. Thank you.

http://bit.ly/louderthanwordsdoc

Hey, I quickly skimmed your Kickstarter, an act which I normally then follow by dismissing these posts as worthless self-promotion without much effort put into them.

However, I like this one. I really do. The story I'd like to hear, in fact I can't wait to hear it (I'll most likely donate to this).

But... You caught me with the story / concept... plus the fact you have most of the film already shot, which is a major plus. I didn't watch your video (I'll do so later), from just your project body I can tell you're passionate. So let me suggest some common Kickstarter practices that could help you win the trust of a very layout centric community.

1) It's great you told us about the story, but who are you? Include a picture of yourself on the page, a short description, and your experience. Have some other exceptional Above the Line crew? Include them this way as well, show you have a reliable team with you.

2) This is a small one, but it is generally custom to include the rewards in a graphical way on the actual body of the project. This is kinda hard to explain so I'll include an example of an already funded project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1836563008/wakfu-the-animated-series/description

They did it the most common and liked way on Kickstarter.

3) Check out that example again. Notice the Stretch Goals? Kickstarter is where your goal is the LOWEST possible number in order to achieve your creation. Stretch Goals are the true complete vision of the project. You pray that the fans will rally behind the project enough to bring you beyond the goal. As well Stretch Goals are what keep people wanting to help you get funded. The people that backed tell their friends and share more when they have the chance to get more from it. The things you include here don't even really need to be what you need to raise for. It's common practice to put things here, that you've already planned into the budget. Like Sound Mixing for example. (Of course you could stretch goal for even higher quality Sound Mixing!)

4) Here is a very crucial part.. and it's the strongest within the film category of Kickstarter... nothing will prove to the film fanatics (and fellow filmmakers) that you're serious than if you can be transparent with your funding goal and break it down. Check it out here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker/description

They created an image that made a pie chart breaking down their budget in a rough manner. It's crude, but it tells us that they knew how to correctly spend the money in order to correctly get this project done to it's full potential.

----

Again, great job these are of course just friendly advise. You have a HIGH goal... and I mean REALLY HIGH goal... but I think you have the ability to reach it (and even more so if you throw in some of these tried and true customs of Kickstarter). I wish you luck and hope to see the final product.

Back