• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Documentary - 'dull' interview

Hello

I am working on a documentary style corporate presentation of a company. We have shot all the footage, and it is not an option to shoot again.

My problem is, that the owner of the company, who I am interviewing, sounds rather dull when talking. I have equalized his voice, so it is less bass-heavy, but it still doesn't quite do it.

Do any of you have suggestions for how to make the video feel more alive?

You can see the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ckVAeKyms
(this is only a rough outline of the first part of the video, with preview music and very fast grading)

Hello

I am working on a documentary style corporate presentation of a company. We have shot all the footage, and it is not an option to shoot again.

My problem is, that the owner of the company, who I am interviewing, sounds rather dull when talking. I have equalized his voice, so it is less bass-heavy, but it still doesn't quite do it.

Do any of you have suggestions for how to make the video feel more alive?

You can see the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ckVAeKyms
(this is only a rough outline of the first part of the video, with preview music and very fast grading)

As simple corporate vids go, I quite liked it. If I were a buyer, I'd want to know the head of the company was an assiduous, slightly boring, low risk-taking, dedicated kinda guy. I'd want to know their hydraulic kit has been around for ever and I could trust it and the head of the biz.

I think it is both fit for purpose and a good, corporate vid.

Thanks, it's always good to be assured that we're on the right track.
However, my client is a little worried, that he will 'talk people to sleep'.

So do you have any ideas for a small improvement in the feel of the tempo?

Yeah the video was quite good. One thing that bugged me a bit was the music was a bit too loud compared to the voice. I mean, normally this would be about correct, but i had a hard time listening to what the guy was saying, his pronaunciation didn't exactly help. I think if you'd tone down the music a bit it will help understanding what the guy has to say.

I don't think his voice is too dull, I've heard much worse. I do have some suggestions though, some about affecting the dialogue directly and some for changing the perception of the dialogue through sound design:

1. You can afford to be a bit more radical with the EQ. Reduce the low freqs a little more and boost a little somehwere around 2.5kHz, although you'll need to be careful not to accentuate the already slightly prominent essing. There might be some benefit to boosting other mid freqs but I'd really need to play with it myself to find out what works best.

2. You could do with some noise reduction on the dialogue and also cut in some room tone in places. Currently the edit points of the dialogue are a little too obvious because of the noise.

3. Lower the level of the music a little and reduce the EQ of the music at the same freqs which you end up boosting the dialogue in suggestion 1. You might also consider adding a little ambient reverb to the music to move it further back in the mix (relative to the dialogue). The first piece of music you use is very pleasant and tranquil but also lowers the energy and pace, which affects the perception of the pace and energy of dialogue. The second piece of music though adds pace and energy.

4. You have some nice atmosphere and sound FX in few places but they cut in and out and negatively affect continuity a bit too much for my taste. You might consider creating an atmosphere for much more of your doco. Done well, this would add depth to the sound mix and further aid the energy/pace.

G

Last edited:
Thanks AudioPostExpert for the elaborate answer. I will try to mix it in through the sound. I have started working on the second part of the documentary, which has a higher natural pace.

I will go through your steps and try to get the best from it.

I liked it. I agree with Gorilla the stoic voice is good for any engineer or manufacture. The talk about shipping was a little painful because it was long and to involved. It was content not voice. Can you get more voice recordings of him?

just my .02

@DesertOkie: Thanks. The problem is, that he lives too far away for me to get there and do another recording, and he doesn't have the proper gear to record himself. Therefore I am 'stuck' with what I have

@Thomse: Is it important for the viewer of the short to know that they had poor shipping times? Or is it enough to know that when they joined Granly the shipping times improved. As my writing teacher drilled into me, if it is not moving the story forward it is not needed. I think 1:15 - 1:22 can go without hurting your story. I also think the long segment of dialog changes the cadence of the piece.

I'm probably telling you what you already know. Just giving my opinion.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks DesertOkie. Unfortunately the owner of the company decides which parts of the interview that has to be in. I only have creative freedom over the b-roll, the music etc.

Can't say I watched the whole thing, corporate videos usually have targeted audiences, but I thought it was fine. Just need drop the music volume to better here the interview.

Back