• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Documentaries

I've had an idea for a documentary bouncing around my head for some time and now I've committed to freeing it. Now I was hoping for some advice on "writing" for a documentary since the dialogue will not be scripted and there is a bit of flexibility for shots and such.

What would be the best way to organize it or commit it to paper so I can start taking the steps to make it?

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Now that are few informations. If you know the outcome of the docu you might write it as a fictional film without the storyboard and dialogues. If you donĀ“t know what you will get, define the qeustion that you want to answer. From there on you can at least think of some scenes regarding establishing the qeustion. From that on all depends on the topic.

I mostly make docs. I usually write a logline and treatment first. I find treatments very helpful -- I refer to my original treatment whenever I feel like the story has taken me astray. My treatments should help me clarify my approach to the story. I don't have to stick to the treatment to the letter -- but it reminds me of what I was after when I first came up with the idea.

For me, writing a treatment for a doc goes like this:
I figure out how long I want the doc to be, give it a working title, and then try to come up with a logline - the kernel of the story in just a few sentences. Then I spend some time writing a general overview of the main subject and how I expect/hope the story will unfold.

I ask myself a bunch of questions and write them down:
What's my angle/point of view?
How will I tell the story? What style is best?
Who are the most important/dramatic characters in the story?
What will the audience want to see?

Then make a list of locations, shots and/or sounds I'd hope to shoot, potential interview subjects, some of the questions I would ask my interviewees, and a summary of points I'd want to cover. After shooting and logging my footage, I have a good idea of what I've got. Keeping my treatment handy, that's when I create a 2-column script to organize the telling of the story. With documentaries, the script comes after you shoot. But a treatment is a very helpful first step before you shoot.

Last edited:
Back