Do you Trust Marbella Film Festival?

Hi everyone.
I happen to submit my short few months ago now they say my film is selected and

Under the terms of the submission, it is the requirement of the festival that films can only be screened at the festival if the film maker or the representative of the film maker is present at the screening.

The Festival is not responsible for the film maker’s expenses and requires assurances from the film maker that the film shall have a representative at the festival, before the festival can include the film on its program.

More to come:

Pay the accreditation fee of £125 per delegate to attend

Not finished yet. .

Paying that fee Excludes the Awards Gala Dinner which is by invitation only

may also mean more money to charge it seems.

Anyone has experienced such terrible request at all?

Has anyone have any dealings with marbellafilmfestival.com please? if so what do you think?

Last edited:
I'm not an expert in this but I checked out their website - very professional looking.

It's strange though that the festival is titled Marbella Film Festival (for the non-Europeans reading this: Marbella is a coastal resort in Spain) yet festival submissions must be sent to the UK:

Marbella International Film Festival.
P.O. Box 1967
Maidenhead
Berks, SL6 1WL
United Kingdom

Is the screening in Spain or the UK?

The fact that a representative must be present for the screening is laid out in their Rules & Regulations (see rule #20). You should obviously have carefully read those prior to submitting:

http://www.marbellafilmfestival.com/submissions/rules-and-regulations/

20. If your film is selected for screening at the festival, it is the requirement of the festival that you must attend the festival, at your own expense, during 2nd to 6th October 2013, to promote and support your film, and collect your award.

I would be very concerned about this (rule #19):

19. Any expenses for the shipping (for both import and export), screening and translation of films and DVDs presented to the selection committee with a view to their possible selection, are to be met by the film’s producers or relevant body. All expenses for the transportation and insurance of prints are also the responsibility of their owner.

What liability does that open you up to? If it costs them $150 to get your DVD to Spain for screening and the screening costs $500 per short, do you get hit with those charges?

I would get clarification on that.

Meanwhile, if the below (rule #14) is actually true then it's a good sign:

14.Marbella International Film Festival is organised by New World Trust, a non-profit organisation that supports many different programmes and initiatives within the industry.

Have a look at their photo gallery - the festival looks real.

http://www.marbellafilmfestival.com/awards-2012/photos-2012-misc-film-festival-photos/

Last edited:
Wait, they want the filmmaker to PAY to attend?!

Wow, that's just about the most ass-hole-y move I've ever seen from a festival. Your travel expenses are your own, that's normal. But an attendance fee?! That's insulting. If you really wanna be in this fest, then I guess pay it. I wouldn't.

If they were upfront about this before you submitted your film then yeah, it's ok.

I've seen a number of festivals requiring a representive to be in attendance, and others requiring attendance at a gala (at your expense, of course).

The "accreditation" fee is a bit unusual.

I would have passed on sending a submission here. Some of the big ones, Cannes, et. al., don't require this much crap.

I kind of object to the following as well

it is the requirement of the festival that films can only be screened at the festival if the film maker or the representative of the film maker is present at the screening.

So they have chosen my film.

If I don't attend it'll be reversed and my film will not be show at all and will not be chosen

Last edited:
I'd like to share some other comments I have received:

They say there are only about a dozen fests in the world that are worth a damn as far as advancing your career, the rest are what you make of them in terms of networking/promotion etc. This fest is not one of those dozen. I'm willing to bet even the large, well-known fests that everyone wants to be in don't require you to be there to show the film (though everyone would tell you you're a fool for not attending). There definitely shouldn't be a fee like that FOR THE FREAKIN' FILMMAKER!

This reminds me of a certain NYC-based film festival that's been outed as a scam several times. $200 entry fee and everyone who submits is accepted.

Having said all this, there is a local fest I've been in several times where even the filmmakers have to pay to attend the awards dinner (though I don't believe it's required to attend to win, and you don't have to pay to get into the screenings themselves).

No legit film festival would require such thing and the fee they are asking for is just insult to injury, my advice is to run fast.

I've never experienced anything so rediculous in my dealings, don't give in, there obviously tring to make money of the back of inexperienced film makers.

...but the representative requirement was detailed in their Rules & Regulations which you should have fully read prior to submitting. You didn't.

And the festival does look legit based on the fact that it has a photo gallery to prove it - with huge banners outside, entrants getting awards etc. Also Press Releases, trailers of winning and high ranking films and shorts etc - the selection looks good.

The scam festivals have nothing - they are just air. They take your money and there is no film showing, no festival.

But it does seriously suck that you need to send a rep in order for your short to show which I presume is over your budget. I can't see how that is aiding indie writers and directors given most have such a low budget - and the festival says a core aim is to encourage such talent.

And I have already said rule #19 would very concern me - a film maker could be hit with a $750+ bill for their film showing, any entrants should clarify this with the festival:

19. Any expenses for the shipping (for both import and export), screening and translation of films and DVDs presented to the selection committee with a view to their possible selection, are to be met by the film’s producers or relevant body. All expenses for the transportation and insurance of prints are also the responsibility of their owner.

Put this down to a lesson learned. Always read the rules and regs prior to entering. The silver lining in ths grey cloud is that they did select your short which bodes well for other festivals you entered.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty suspicious of this. I don't remember the details now, but it sounds very familiar - there was someone on here a few years ago talking about this same situation. If I remember correctly there is actually a documentary floating around about a couple of filmmakers who bought into this, flew to Europe from the US, only to find the situation was even worse than it seems now... things like their screening time not being published anywhere, and being responsible for promoting their own film's screening, which was impossible because there wasn't a specific time, screenings where the only people in attendance besides them were the filmmakers themselves, etc.

I don't remember the name of the specific festival that was for, but I do remember that it was one of about a dozen similar festivals that the organizers put on. Basically, all of the festivals were just a way to generate money via submission fees and sponsorship money. I'll have to search a bit more to see if I can find the link.

UPDATE: found it -

Indietalk thread: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=30020
Short film about one of these festivals: http://swanseatelly.org/video/60/looking-for-an-audience-swanse

I don't know that Mirabella is part of the same organization, but the pattern is the same - fees when accepted, charging extra for the gala dinner.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty suspicious of this. I don't remember the details now, but it sounds very familiar - there was someone on here a few years ago talking about this same situation. If I remember correctly there is actually a documentary floating around about a couple of filmmakers who bought into this, flew to Europe from the US, only to find the situation was even worse than it seems now... things like their screening time not being published anywhere, and being responsible for promoting their own film's screening, which was impossible because there wasn't a specific time, screenings where the only people in attendance besides them were the filmmakers themselves, etc.

I don't remember the name of the specific festival that was for, but I do remember that it was one of about a dozen similar festivals that the organizers put on. Basically, all of the festivals were just a way to generate money via submission fees and sponsorship money. I'll have to search a bit more to see if I can find the link.

Thank you for that.
Very informative insight.

Here's some other comments I have received

Many film festivals are only money making schemes for the people behind the festival. At the same time, they are probably getting money from local and national sponsors. As mentioned, there are only so many festivals that carry any clout as part of a marketing campaign. There are literally hundreds of not thousands of festivals around the world nowadays. For me, seeing winner of "audience award" at some festival I have never heard of doesn't mean much to me. I doubt it means much to others. It's nice to be recognized, but paying for it means nothing. I can go to my local trophy store and make myself an award... ;)

If you do not attend, what's the point of having your film there? People might see it, they might be interested, but nobody will be there to "close the sale."
You don't get the interested person's contact information, you don't get their feedback, pretty much you don't get anything.

So if you are looking to have your film seen by others, it's not worth paying. But if you are interested in networking, then you need to know more about the festival's attendees and attendance - you can ask them for prior year's attendance.

Maybe I have a different perspective, but I view it like a tradeshow. Exhibitors have to pay for space at tradeshows - they rarely, if ever, get to exhibit for free.

Whether a particular tradeshow is worth exhibiting at depends on whether you (as an exhibitor) will benefit from contact with those customer.

Likewise, it is foolish (although it happens) to have a booth that simply consists of information with nobody there to answer questions or establish a personal connection.

So you have to pay 125 pounds per person to watch your own movie and dinner is extra and they don't tell you how much dinner is. Sounds great.

In my experience, the normal way for festivals to do this is, they have sponsors that give them deals on travel and hotel prices. They usually pay for shipping costs one way and arrange everything from booking and traveling for you if they have the money. Most festivals like you to participate, but I've never heard of any of them refusing to show a film because the filmmaker wasn't there. Some festivals can't pay for traveling, depending on their size and their sponsor deals that particular year.

I've never, ever heard of any festival forcing guests to pay for acreditation. Every festival I've been to has had a special Guest acreditation that was free.

That's my experience, anyway.

I would call this a "racket" rather than a "scam", but the difference isn't worth arguing over.

It's common for small festivals to be "for profit", and this is one way to make a profit. These guys may also be "not for profit", and simply plow all of the profits into the fees that the organizers collect as their compensation. Either way, the main benefit to your attending this festival is to line the pockets of the organizers.

This thread is becoming a "must read" item I reckon.

All the best to you all

Last edited:
I would call this a "racket" rather than a "scam", but the difference isn't worth arguing over.

I actually think this distinction is pretty important, and I'd agree that this one seems like a racket...

And the festival does look legit based on the fact that it has a photo gallery to prove it - with huge banners outside, entrants getting awards etc. Also Press Releases, trailers of winning and high ranking films and shorts etc - the selection looks good.

The scam festivals have nothing - they are just air. They take your money and there is no film showing, no festival.

That's the difference right there. This one definitely isn't a 'scam' as there's clearly a festival that occurs, but that doesn't necessarily make it a legit festival from the standpoint of a filmmaker and any benefit to being involved with it. Thus it's a racket, primarily targeted at milking the participating filmmakers for as much money as possible.

When I was looking into it I came across a few other suspicious things... like a doc that was nominated for best documentary at the fest a couple years ago, and the editor was (and still appears to be) one of the festival directors. There's also the non-profit organization which is supposedly behind it that seems to have no online presence outside of references to the festival itself - which means it was probably created exclusively for the purpose of enabling/encouraging tax-deductible sponsor donations.

UPDATE: found it -

Indietalk thread: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=30020
Short film about one of these festivals: http://swanseatelly.org/video/60/looking-for-an-audience-swanse

I don't know that Mirabella is part of the same organization, but the pattern is the same - fees when accepted, charging extra for the gala dinner.

WOW. This is the first time I've seen this and as a proud Welshman and supporting of showing wales off to the world, my heart goes out to those film makers :( it really makes me angry that someone would treat people like that. I think I'll do some digging on this Swansea bay film festival and the organiser.

Out of Box Thinking - Pay an actor to show up to the festival and pretend to be you. If you win they can send you your prize.

Just saying, I doubt they will be checking id's for imposters.

...but the representative requirement was detailed in their Rules & Regulations which you should have fully read prior to submitting. You didn't.

But it does seriously suck that you need to send a rep in order for your short to show which I presume is over your budget. I can't see how that is aiding indie writers and directors given most have such a low budget - and the festival says a core aim is to encourage such talent.

And I have already said rule #19 would very concern me - a film maker could be hit with a $750+ bill for their film showing, any entrants should clarify this with the festival:

Put this down to a lesson learned. Always read the rules and regs prior to entering. The silver lining in ths grey cloud is that they did select your short which bodes well for other festivals you entered.

Thank you Paul,

There maybe more than rule #19 if you happen to wonder the lot.

Please find all the other details I have received from them below:

---------------------------------------------
Email I have received:
Dear so and so

We are pleased to inform you that your film has been short listed to be screened at the Marbella International Film Festival, from 2nd to 6th October 2013.

Over 800 films from 50 countries were submitted to the festival, these films are presenting some of the best independent productions, by talented film makers. Judges had some very difficult decisions to make while reducing the number of such high calibre applicants to limited number to be awarded the screening status at the festival.

So you must feel very proud, that your work has been recognised among the very best to appear at this prestigious international film festival, we thus, congratulate you for your efforts, and wish you success.

While the judging process is still underway, we are preparing the preliminary short list of the films to be screened at the festival subject to the receipt of the necessary documentation.

All films being screened will be awarded a certificate of participation, the details of film and its credits would appear on the publicity materials of the festival.

To take the next step, you are required to confirm the availably of your film for screening, and its compliance with our terms and conditions.

However, we need more than just your confirmation, we need your commitment that you would be promoting your film prior and during the festival, should it be approved for screening. The festival offers the film makers, recognition as well as great opportunity to promote their works.

We also need to bring to your attention the following;

1. Under the terms of the submission, it is the requirement of the festival that films can only be screened at the festival if the film maker or the representative of the film maker is present at the screening.

2. The Festival is not responsible for the film maker’s expenses and requires assurances from the film maker that the film shall have a representative at the festival, before the festival can include the film on its program.

3. The language requirements for the films to be screened at the festival should be adhered to as per terms of submission. Thus films in original language require sub-titles in English, films in English language requires sub-titles in Spanish, and the films in Spanish language requires sub titles in English. If your film does not comply with the above requirement, you must confirm that you will be able to do this by mid September when the final screening copies are due to be delivered to us.

Could you kindly confirm by email to info@marbellafilmfestival.com your agreement to the terms, and your wish to allow your film to be screened at 2013 MIFF.

Please also complete the attached release and accreditation forms for yourself and any member of your team wishing to attend the festival, and return to us as an attachment to the same email. PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO info@marbellafilmfestival.com and not the senders email address.

We shall look forward to hear from you and see you in Marbella.
Kindest regards
Mac Chakaveh
Festival Director.

attachment1 I have received

Application for Accreditation 2013 Festival

The accreditation, entitles the delegate to:

The VIP Pass to all screenings.
The Red Carpet opening, cocktail party, ceremony.
All after parties
Festival workshops and Fringe events.

Excludes the Awards Gala Dinner which is by invitation only.

Special accommodation package is also available for the delegates, at their request.

Delegates’ Name:
Telephone:
Email:
Address:
Town / City:
Post Code:
Film Title ("the Film")
Production Company:
Delegates’ credits for this film:
Delegates’ other credits:

By completing and returning this form you confirm that:

1/ you [as the representative of the Company] hereby agree to attend the Marbella International Film Festival, due to be held from 2nd to 6th October 2013, at your own expense, to support and promote the screening of your film. For the avoidance of doubt the location and timing of any screenings of the Film shall be the sole decision of the organisers of the Festival.

2/ you will take all possible steps to promote your film as part of “Shorts Cinema” event during the Marbella International Film Festival, in such ways as, direct promotions through printed and digital advertising, networking directly or through the industry or social networking sites etc.

3/ Pay the accreditation fee of £125 per delegate, or early bird fee of £75 per delegate if paid before 30th July 2013.

4/ [you / the Company] will be solely responsible for all advertising and promotional costs for marketing of your film which is carried out at your own discretion, for the purpose of promoting your film during the festival.

5/ you understand and agree that any failure to follow and adhere to the Rules and Regulations of the Festival will result in withdrawal of your accreditation and festival pass.

I accept the terms and conditions stated above.

Name……………………………………………………..
(Film maker/ Company Director)

Signature…………………………………………………….

Date……………………………………………………..

Please scan the signed form and send it as an attachment to info@marbellafilmfestival.com.

Upon the receipt of your application, a pay pal request for the fees will be send to your email address your application will be processed upon the receipt of the cleared funds.

attachment2 I have received

MARBELLA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL

2013 Festival Release Form
*(Please delete the words in square brackets as required throughout this form)

[Production Company / Film Maker's], (“the Company”):
Email:
Web site:
Telephone:
Fax:
Address
Town / City:
Postcode:
Film Title ("the Film"):
Director:
Producer:
Film Length:

By completing and returning this form [you / the Company] confirms that:
1/ [you / the Company] hereby grant [s} the organisers of the Festival permission to screen the Film during the Festival, its world tour and any other promotional screening related to the festival.

For the avoidance of doubt the location and timing of any screenings of the Film shall be the sole decision of the organisers of the Festival.

2/ [you / the company] [have / has] obtained signed release forms in relation to copyright and all other rights now known from all the cast, crew and any freelance contributors who were involved in the making of the Film.

3/ The Film contain no material which is obscene, libellous or defamatory.

4/ [you / the Company] [have/has] obtained the appropriate copyright clearances for all music used in the Film (if required).

5/ [you / the Company] will be solely responsible for all costs resulting from the submission of the Film to the Festival including but not limited to postage or insurance of the Film, transport costs of the Film to and from the Festival and travel costs and expenses of your staff or any representatives of the Film.

6/ [you / the Company] will indemnify the organisers of the Festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings and losses resulting from the screening of the Film at the Festival or from claims by any third parties.

7/ [you / a director of the Company] [have/ has] read, understood and agree to be fully bound by the Rules and Regulations of the Festival.

8/ [you / the Company] understand and agree that any failure to follow and adhere to the Rules and Regulations of the Festival will result in the disqualification of the Film.

9/ [you / the Company] hereby give the organisers of the Festival a non exclusive licence to use [your/ its] name, [photograph / logo], and likeness in connection with any and all publicity and promotional activities relating to the Festival.

10/ [you / the Company] understand that the Festival is not obliged to return the copy of the Film that [you / the Company] submitted to the Festival and confirm that [you / the Company] [have / has] retained at least one other copy of the Film.

11/ [you / the Company] understand that the organisers of the Festival accept no liability for the loss or non-receipt of the Film.

12/ [you / the Company] understand that there are no fees [due to you / it] for screening the Film at the Festival or for any other matters arising from the submission of the Film to the Festival and accept that the organisers of the Festival are therefore under no obligation to pay you any sums

13/ [you / the Company] agree to be bound by the decision of the judges of the Festival whose decision will be final. [You / the Company] further understand and agree that the judges are not obliged to give any feedback to you regarding the Film.

14/ [you / the Company} confirm and warrant that [you are/it is] the author of the Film and the sole and exclusive owner of all rights now known in the Film and [have /has] full and exclusive rights to submit the Film to the Festival. [You / the Company] further warrant that the Film is not under option, nor has it been purchased by any third party.

[You / the Company] also warrant that there is no current dispute as to the ownership of the Film and that no rights or permissions are required from any third parties before the Film can be screened at the Festival.

15/ [you / the Company] agree that any legal dispute between [you / the Company] and the organisers of the Festival will be heard in the English courts according to the law of England and Wales.

[I / the Company] accept the terms and conditions stated above.

Name……………………………………………………..
(Film maker/ Company Director)

Signature…………………………………………………….

Date……………………………………………………..

Please scan the signed form and send it as an attachment to info@marbellafilmfestival.com.
The original form together with materials which will be requested from you in due course, should be sent, by registered post to; P.O. Box 1967, Maidenhead, Berks, SL6 1WL, UK.

While the judging process is still underway, we are preparing the preliminary short list of the films to be screened at the festival subject to the receipt of the necessary documentation.

I think that right there says it all. Your film hasn't actually been selected by the judges. They're pre-qualifying you as someone who is willing (and able) to pay and commit to a good deal of additional expense to have your film in their festival. Once they know that they also know they can probably get more out of you later.

you will take all possible steps to promote your film as part of “Shorts Cinema” event during the Marbella International Film Festival, in such ways as, direct promotions through printed and digital advertising, networking directly or through the industry or social networking sites etc.

So after you've paid to be in the festival, and paid to attend, and possibly paid to go to the gala awards dinner, they also now want you to do all of your own promotion including print advertising. Again, this sounds similar to what happened to the filmmakers who went to the swansea festival and found out there was no promotion other than what they did themselves.

I think that right there says it all. Your film hasn't actually been selected by the judges. They're pre-qualifying you as someone who is willing (and able) to pay and commit to a good deal of additional expense to have your film in their festival. Once they know that they also know they can probably get more out of you later.

So after you've paid to be in the festival, and paid to attend, and possibly paid to go to the gala awards dinner, they also now want you to do all of your own promotion including print advertising. Again, this sounds similar to what happened to the filmmakers who went to the swansea festival and found out there was no promotion other than what they did themselves.

Excellent analysis ItDonnedOnMe.

I did not pay attention to those you picked up.

Thank you indeed.

More comments from friends:

Did you have to pay a submission fee on top of that?

I don’t know any more info than what’s provided here so maybe this is premature judgement – but this is the type of crap that has made me all but given up on festivals.

Update on Marbella? Did you go?

Hi all, this is my first post here--I hope I'm getting the formatting right.
I'm just wondering if you went after all and had maybe even a good experience at Marbella?
(Hope springs eternal.)

Two years after this thread was abandoned, but I'm now in the same predicament as the original poster, and my feeling-duped alarms are going off, as well as my but-you-have-a-history-of-mistrusting-institutions alarms, so:

??

Thanks!

Hi all, this is my first post here--I hope I'm getting the formatting right.
I'm just wondering if you went after all and had maybe even a good experience at Marbella?
(Hope springs eternal.)

Two years after this thread was abandoned, but I'm now in the same predicament as the original poster, and my feeling-duped alarms are going off, as well as my but-you-have-a-history-of-mistrusting-institutions alarms, so:

??

Thanks!

I'm afraid I did not go, so they canceled my entry
I also wonder what happens if you go
Please let us know if you happen to go
all the best

Hi everyone.
I happen to submit my short few months ago now they say my film is selected and

More to come:

Not finished yet. .

may also mean more money to charge it seems.

Anyone has experienced such terrible request at all?

Has anyone have any dealings with marbellafilmfestival.com please? if so what do you think?
withdraw your film immediately! otherwise they exploit you because they also want you to give them submission to screen your film wherever they want as they say in the rellease sheet.

Back