• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do you think I should apply for jobs as a video editor with my experience?

I am looking to perhaps do something in filmmaking that are paying jobs, as I could use some additional money for future projects and just use money in general, since I don't have a high paying job at the moment. I was thinking of advertising myself as a video editor. Once my friends' short film is done I can use that a demo reel, or whatever you would call it.

But I did the video editing only. Will I be expected to do audio editing as well? I talked to an audio editor and he says that he learned audio only in his courses, and I talked to a video editor who doesn't know much about audio and says that's what the audio editor is for. But will a lot of microbudget and low budget projects be wanting someone who can do both?

Weren't you looking at doing the same but as a boom op? Anyway I would consider this but editing to me seems like the type of job that is less likely to lead to others on set. Obviously it can but if you want to be a DP you start as data wrangling or AC then move up to camera operating etc.

To answer your actual question: I think it's important to have an understanding/respect of it, obviously if the person hiring you wants you to do audio as well they should know that it wouldn't be up to the same standard as other films. You wouldn't be expected to but it does depend on the level and nature of the project.

Oh I'm not doing this to get people to come to set, I am doing this to expand post production experience but also for some part time work, as I don't have a full time job as of now. The boom op thing I would do for set experience separately.

It sounds like you want to make money so you can spend it on filming (and other living expenses) and you're trying to find the best way to do it. Does this about sum it up?

The issue is, of course, your qualifications. Why should someone hire you?

Anyone with FCPX can call themselves an editor, but just calling yourself an editor doesn't make you qualified to do the job. There are legions of indie filmmakers who edit their own projects; they may edit, but that doesn't make them qualified professional editors either.

There are millions of guys out there with the M-Audio version of Pro Tools and a cheap LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic) calling themselves (music) producers; that doesn't make them qualified producers.

Just because you have the FR-2, a boom and a couple of mics doesn't make you a boom-op or PSM. It is a highly evolved skill set. However, since you have that gear and (hopefully) know a little more and have slightly better skills than someone who has never done it before you will get marginally better production sound than a complete neophyte. But it still doesn't make you a professional. On how many shoots have you been the PSM/boom-op? After you've done 20 or 30 maybe you can start charging.

When I got into audio post I already had the basic skills from when I was doing music engineering, but I still spent a few of years doing dozens of freebies PLUS doing freelance donkey work at audio post houses (and spending many hours observing the professionals at those facilities at work) PLUS reading lots of books PLUS participating in every audio post forum I could find PLUS dissecting every movie I could watch (with the emphasis on award winners) to acquire the skills I now charge for. And I am still learning every day. And I'm out hustling for clients every day. I put in 50 to 60 hours week; how many hours a week do you spend honing your filmmaking skills?

BTW, I STILL haven't even seen one completed project from you.

You need to get out of your backwater, move to the big city and dive into the deep end with the big kids. Do PA work every day for a year, or all of the other grunt work interns do at a post house (fetch coffee & sandwiches, do media transfers/conversions, clean toilets, answer phones, kiss ass and learn, LEARN, LEARN). Then you may have a chance at working professionally in the entertainment industry.

Well I can't afford to move to the big city. Otherwise all my money for future projects is immediately gone. That's how much more the big city costs. Unless I find a cheap house (which is almost a guruantee that I can't). I can't rent though, otherwise the money is all gone. What good is it learning to be a PA, if I won't even have a budget for my own stuff in the end. Unfortunately I will have to stay here, and learn from other's as much as possible in other areas.

How far away from you is Toronto? Isn't there a booming filming scene there? Consider flying there from time to time to gain the experience. It doesn't have to be permanent.

As for paid positions (or simply just for making money), it's all a matter of supply and demand. Can you supply what is in demand? Even better if there is low supply for that demand. If so I say go for it. If not, you have to find something else that you can supply that is in demand.

Well I can't afford to move to the big city. Otherwise all my money for future projects is immediately gone. That's how much more the big city costs. Unless I find a cheap house (which is almost a guruantee that I can't). I can't rent though, otherwise the money is all gone. What good is it learning to be a PA, if I won't even have a budget for my own stuff in the end. Unfortunately I will have to stay here, and learn from other's as much as possible in other areas.

At 19 I left home and rented an 8x10 room in a house. I drank tap water (which doesn't cost anything), ate Chex for breakfast, PB&J for lunch and PB&J for dinner. I walked and took the bus everywhere, or got rides from friends. I pumped gas from 7am until 2pm, played piano for a dance school 3pm to 7pm and had band rehearsal from 8pm to 11pm. Got home about midnight, woke up at 5:30am to shower, eat my (dry) Chex. I didn't drink, didn't party, did nothing but work my jobs and work on my career.

All I ever hear from you is "How do I?" or "Should I?" and when you get answers you say "I cant." You find a million excuses why you can't, and you are prepared to fail even before you begin.

You have to make some serious sacrifices to get anywhere in this business and be prepared to take some bumps and bruises. Oh, yeah, you need to work harder than you could ever possibly imagine - and then work even harder.

Well if I can find jobs while there to pay for it hopefully, then I will consider. But I am not using any of my saved money for future projects. Even if I 'can', spending saved money is a can't if I expect to make something big in the future. Some of the cities, like Toronto and Vancouver, I was told by a camera operator who worked those places, that you have to pay additional fees for shooting. And that those fees are quite expensive. Where I live I don't have to pay those fees. So I will not be able to do any productions while there, but will have to do those productions back home or in other cities, that do not have that law.

Well if I can find jobs while there to pay for it hopefully, then I will consider. But I am not using any of my saved money for future projects. Even if I 'can', spending saved money is a can't if I expect to make something big in the future.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.

It also works well with some peoples definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.

In other words, is your current approach getting you the success you desire? If not, you need to try another approach. It's your life. Our lives aren't going to change whether you succeed or not. You're the only one who's invested in your success. Perhaps it's time to consider an attitude along the lines of "I'll do anything to get closer to my goals." and then ask yourself every time something (or even a question) comes up, "Will this get my closer to my goals?" If not, don't do it.

Well I could work three jobs like Alcove suggested but then where would I even find time to help people out with their movies? I mean I work 40 hours a week, and I barely have time to do the shoot schedules they want me to do now. I will move if I have to, but I am going to try some different approaches first. I have been on two sets so far, but I didn't learn anything new. In fact I taught them what to do, from things I learned off this site. So I hope I can get on a set where they are teaching me something new. I know what Alcove is saying that you have to let the ends justify the means, but I think moving will not do it, money wise, and I might have to find another approach.

Right now I am looking for talent in other cities, so I can pick the best city to hire out of or go to for a future project, if that's a good move. It also might just be a good idea to travel to another city once a production opportunity comes along, as traveling is not as expensive as renting in Toronto. Even if I work three jobs now, I can still save some of that money but not renting and just traveling.

Last edited:
But two of the three jobs were related to my (then) profession of being a professional musician. The gas station gig paid the bills, the dance school was four hours a day of playing the piano (and being the audio tech)(it also paid better than the gas station for almost half the hours) and the band rehearsals were forwarding my career. So I spent seven hours a day working on my career. That doesn't include the Sunday mornings when I was organist at a church, plus the weddings, baptisms and funerals on Saturdays and Sundays for more money. It seemed like I never slept; you can do that when you're young! BTW, the band panned out (we ended up playing at least four nights a week), so after about six months I was able to ditch the gas station gig. Now I was full-time musician!

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING must take a back seat to your career when you are starting out. So you put your projects on hold for a while; you will gain HUGE amounts of experience working as a PA or other menial job on set or in a business related house (rentals, video or audio post, etc.). Travel? I didn't go anyplace not music related for many years.

BTW, I've noticed another "How do I" question from you. C'mon, man, you should know a little something by now!!! If you can't answer the questions for yourself you need to either find another career or dive in head first where the action is.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING must take a back seat to your career when you are starting out.

This is so true. When I first got into event management, I was working full time in a sales job, on top of that kicking in about 20 hours a week in event management duties and on top of that opened a business that was open over 12 hours a day (on average), 7 days a week. Life isn't easy. A typical day was waking up at 8am and finishing at 1 or 2am.

I mean I work 40 hours a week

Ok, so you're gloating that you have a light work load? ;) So 40 hours for work, 56 hours for sleep (assuming 8 hours per night). Each week has 192 hours. So, what do you do with the other 72 hours each week?

I worked as a video editor for the past year 40hrs a week 14$/h

I started with basic experience but as time goes on i picked up quickly and i am now a beast!
that being said
i quite last december... kinda regret it .. but office work isnt for me.. 8 hours a day sitting.. i enjoy video editing but this was getting like being a robot. I always need i wanted to work more on a production level (but i love every step of filmaking) but i got an offer for the job so! it was a super cool experience

Back