Do you attend every festival?

I'm wondering if you all attend every single film festival that accepts your film? I live in the Northeast and have been thinking of submitting to festivals in other parts of the country. Problem is, with my upcoming wedding and work schedule, I'm not positive I'd be able to travel to every film festival I'm accepted into. Should I only submit to festivals that I know for sure I'll be able to attend?

There was only one festival that my feature got into that I didn't attend, and I arranged for another member of the production team to be there.

Everyone evaluates it differently, but I felt that much (most) of the value came from attending, networking, generating an audience & buzz for the movie, etc.

Mlesemann is right - There's no sense not attending if you can.

However, in today's day and age, the chances that all of the festivals you are submitting to are accessible to you are quite low, unless you're trying to remain within your state or region, which, depending on where you live, may limit your outreach.

I've only been 'accepted' at a few small festivals - One was in Guam. So, I've never attended, nor won... yet ;)

If everyone were just going to 'phone it in' why would they go through the bother of having a festival in the first place? At that point, just do the whole thing online. :)

The two (smallish) festivals I've had a film in, I didn't go. Schedule and location didn't work out. Won an award at one and 'placed' (runner up) for an award at the other, neither I, nor any other member of the production were there for either of those.

The biggest benefit to attending a festival, whether you've got a screening or not, is to network with people, and this is very much a "WHO" you know, not "WHAT" you know business, so networking is pretty important, at least long term.

With the cost of airfares, hotels etc - attending every festival is simply not a possibility for most.

100% go to whatever festivals are "local" to you. Try to get to know the organizers. Even volunteer to help out one year if you can.

If you cannot do any of the above then at least make your entry personal - write a one-pager on your short/feature, your bio etc when you submit - yes, even if this is not requested.

Some will simply bin it, others will read it. If they read it, it could help your entry - particularly if you are a local.

Most festivals love to be able to showcase some local talent - be that talent.

Last edited:
Well I think it would still help to network if some of the interviews and Q & As were phoned in, wouldn't it? I mean at the closest film festival I went too once so far, only one director, and one lead actor showed, out of like 15 movies.

Go to every festival you feasibly can. If it's a good excuse for a vacation, then do it!

Of course, you can submit online incredibly easily to festivals all around the world, so a lot of the time it will be simply not possible to attend - which is perfectly fine. However, you should attend all you can - nothing beats the networking and buzz of actually being there in person.

Thanks for your responses everyone. There's a lot of great insight here.

There is a festival I'm going to submit to that's not local and I'm unsure if I will be able to attend. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to go the local route if mainly for networking purposes.

Back