Do I really need a Producer?

Do I really need a producer? I've posted a while back that I'm gonna be meeting with a producer, but after that, our communication seem to have died down (since he's from downtown Chicago and I'm in the suburbs). I mean I've been e-mailing him, but he doesn't reply to any of them. I just feel like it slows the production of the film down.

Would just giving a friend a producer's job work? Is there any other place I could look for a potential producer? Should I ditch my current producer? Any advice?

An interesting perspective with - I'm sure - an interesting story
behind it.

I have always gone into business with friends. Never have I lost
one because of the business. I suspect if I ever started ordering
my friends around who thought were partners I would lose both
their friendship and their partnership. I several of the cases the
friend I went into business with was the "boss" giving the orders
and in other I was the boss. But in most cases I have created
equal partnerships where we both work to our specific strengths.
Specifically the producer/director relationship.

Since it has always worked well for me, my advise is to work with
friends any chance you can.

I guess it depends on the people. As you said, you have had it work
sometimes.

Well, really I meant was hiring friends to do jobs (e.g., producer) on your film where you as the executive producer have authority or final say of what goes down. That can cause tension. In a business relationship where you and your friend are on the same level of authority (50/50) then I think it's a different situation. It's only when the power of authority is slanted in one direction.

I agree that sometimes friends are the only way to go and that is okay! Usually the people I work with on the set become my friends, which I love. I really just meant bringing in friends who aren't into the filmmaking aspect of things but only helping you out because they are your friend. :)

When you're doing low budget or zero budget films, having a producer is sometimes more of a hassle than just doing the things yourself. Learning how to do everything isn't a bad thing, then you can slowly step back one job at a time and give them to people you trust until you're free to do your thing (writing and directing, or whatever you might want to focus on).

The problem comes when you can't find dedicated people. In areas like Chicago or Pittsburgh (where I'm from), it's really hard to tell because there are a TON of people that say they are dedicated to your project, but will find just about anything else to do instead of your project.

Good luck!

A common misconception I see all over the Internet is Indie artists confusing producers with investors.

On an Indie level, a producer is another starving filmmaker. Artists need to learn the business side of filmmaking for themselves until at least you have a resume of completed products that can attract distributors, name talent, and real money companies and people.

I just joined an on line film financing group. And, I see this confusion in so many threads.

With a similar thread here, I'd like to point out the difference between a producer and an investor.

Personally, I have no idea what a Producer does or most anyone else.

But, ANYONE who can help get a project done that is willing to give their time and effort is worthwhile.

I wear all the hats, and I hate it. Thankfully I've had one person each production who has stepped up and helped when needed, they've both gotten Producer credit. Now if a tiny portion of the rest were so inclined. "What I'm an actor..." : )

Honestly, unless you're looking at a budget exceeding 50k or so, a producer is largely worthless.

A pro will ask to be paid, and paid he will be.

The only time a producer is helpful with low budget work is if he's your friend and is a great organizer.

Producers are largely responsible for getting the film attention, you can do that yourself.

The producer is the person who initiates a project and acquires everything it takes to make it happen, then sees it out into the world.

If you do this/these jobs, you are the producer. A film project is not a Director's project, it is the Producer's project. The producer hires the director if there's that type of budget... before you get your undies in a bunch about this statement... You can be the producer and pick yourself as a director, writer, cinematographer, editor, actor, etc... the job doesn't have to be exclusive.

Another confusion is that a lot of people think Producer and Production Coordinator is the same job. While they overlap on the lower budget end of things, what you might actually be looking for is a Production Coordinator.

Get a Producer. If you want to do it yourself, then go ahead, but it's a lot of work to Produce and Direct at the same time, especially without at least a Co-Producer to shoudler some of the burden. Also can create issues on set if you have to leave the shoot and the actors in the middle of a scene to don the Producer's hat and talk to the location owner (for example).

A good Producer and a good 1st AD will really help any film endeavour.

Totally agree with jax_rox. Even on small indie shoots I'm not sure how I could ever pull off such tight schedules without a producer and 1st AD. There's so many things to worry about on set and as a director my attention should be on the actors and shot composition. Every other detail is just as important so I need key people I can completely trust running the rest of the production.

Back