Do I need to hold rehearsals?

The short I just finished writing is about 8 pages long and is very light on dialogue. Like 85% of the dialogue (of what little there is) is spoken by the main character. The other four actors have no more than two lines each.

The actress playing the main character went through very thorough auditions and has a very strong grasp of the character and script. Do I need to hold rehearsals? If so, do I need to have all the actors there or should it just be me and my lead actress?

I'd say budget for some rehearsal time before shooting. If they already have the script, and they're good at what they do, a few dry runs before shooting should get what you need.

That said, my experience is pretty limited (going to a shoot to hang out with a friend, and being drafted into acting).

Getting everyone "on the same page" is more than just everyone reading lines off of the same page of the script. At the indie level, especially if they aren't being paid, everyone needs to feel that they are a part of a team. A couple of sit downs around a table with the cast and crew for a walk-through-talk-through gets everyone familiar with each other and, more importantly, familiar with you. A few hours to become familiar with each other before you start shooting can begin the feeling of camaraderie and mutual purpose, which can save you hours on set as you are all "on the same page."

Get your primary actors and department heads together and talk about the script and the shoot. Let everyone make some suggestions, get them involved, make them feel that their contributions are important. Believe it or not, they can have some very important contributions. Let them bounce some ideas off of you. People who feel that they have contributed and have an investment in the project are more committed to that project.

You need to rehearse, eventually, but I don't think it needs to happen on any day in advance of shooting.

A read-through is a really good idea, but that's more for purposes of ironing out the wrinkles in the script, and you can do a read-through with anybody.

For purposes of your talent getting their material down, I personally think it's preferable to save rehearsals for right before shooting. Helps keep their performances fresh, in my opinion. Plus, you probably can't rehearse blocking until shooting day, so might as well make it a full-on rehearsal.

I agree, just have them run through it before each take. There's gonna be lots of downtime while lights are set up, and it'll make rehearsing blocking that much easier when you're in the actual location. Considering your short is light on dialog, I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of blocking work needed.

Alcove's comment on production meetings is great advice, too.

"Blocking", as drc mentioned, is the placement and movement of your talent - what they are doing, and when. In filmmaking, the placement and movement of the camera is also included in blocking.

Question, what do you mean by blocking?

Blocking is where the actors sit/stand/move around. You can work it out on set if you like, but it's best to plan it out beforehand, like you would plan your shots. Once you've got it blocked you'll put some bright tape on the floor where the actor is supposed to stand or walk to, that way you can mark your camera for the proper distance for when you pull the focus.

More jargon: When an actor does their blocking properly is called hitting their mark.

Back