• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do cameras depretiate as fast as other technology?

I have had an xh-a1 for several months now. My father wanted to know whether my camera is already outdated, and whether or not I should sell and move on.

I keep telling him that people use these cameras for years at a time. He keeps assuming that they are like other pieces of technology: use them for 6 months, sell them, then go on to newer technology.

What can I tell him as a valid argument? You guys have way more experience. Don't you guys think an xh-a1 can make good projects and last me atleast 5 years?

I would say yes and no...

Technology advances at a speed that makes it nearly impossible to always be current -- camera technology included. However, the XHA1 is still a pretty new camera. There isn't a new model that's come out to replace it yet.

Ultimately though, I think what it comes down to is that your gear -- camera, computer, whatever -- is only outdated when it no longer fulfills your needs. As an example, an old 486 is mostly useless for 90% of day to day computer tasks, but it still makes a great firewall or router, and would even be a worthwhile addition to a small render farm.

So... yeah. :)

As far as value goes though, cameras tend to hold value better than a lot of other stuff. the DVX100 is a good example of that, it's still hard to find a good quality used DVX for under $1000

Haha - It just seems strange that your fighting to NOT upgrade, while your father is wanting you to get something new. Good situation you're in. However, i agree with Will - there isn't anything out that replaces it.

actually devhaven, I think that's his cover up. Im about to go to college; I believe he wants me to get more money for school. Even if I did sell it, which I wont, he would probably make me use the money for books/gas/ect.

Back