DIY for Abandoned Memories Short Film

Hi Everyone,

We have recently shot a short film called Abandoned Memories, which we decided to make some accessories like Dolly. I thought maybe you would like to see and get an idea of how simple we did it with a budget of $137 including the tools.

351609.jpg

1022213.jpg

For the rest of the images and info please visit:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Abandoned_Memories

Or

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Abandoned-Memories/143427082396527?sk=photos

Thanks
Cheers

Looks like you got a really cool location. So much detail in the frame with that! You could almost take a full day or two just getting atmospheric shots as B-Roll there :) No actors needed for those days.

Can't wait to see what you produce :)

Looks like you got a really cool location. So much detail in the frame with that! You could almost take a full day or two just getting atmospheric shots as B-Roll there :) No actors needed for those days.

Can't wait to see what you produce :)

Yes, it was really a nice location to shot some footage. At this time that I am talking to you I heard they cleaned everything and the cabin is functional again, so that was obviously the Abandoned Cabin's chance to be shot by me :D

For the detail I'd like to mention that before shooting the corridor it look like this.

242096.jpg

And then my lovely wife decided to redecorate it as if it was really destroyed the corridor as well and after that it looked like this.

161307.jpg

If I have understand you correctly, what I shot is very simple smooth dolly shots that will bring out the textures around us instead of the burning incident really, and that's all it. There are really no actress in the scene :) the idea is going to be inject into the audience mind all with sound FX on the background while watching the film.

About how many more hours or days we could shot there, I only had the 16-35 canon lens which is pretty wide and the location was pretty small, plus to capture all the details I needed a 50 mm at least. So I left with not so much choices to shoot. I tried my best in the edit to avoid over showing every little corner of the room ( it was only a 3mX3m room that was really burned out and nothing else) so we don't loose the excitement of discovery for the audience, if it makes sense :)

I have been thinking of a way to make it not look like a music video, but a short film instead, something that has a small story to it. About 2 hours ago I did come up with an Idea that will help me do this. So I'm still working on it.

Thanks alot for showing interest, Don't forget to become a fan of the page or drop a comment on fund raising campaign page so you don't loose anything when I update ;)

You started the discussion here ;) If you're simply trying to drive traffic to your site, you should move this to promotion.

Hehe I wasn't really thinking of driving any traffic anywhere by answering him :) it just you have limited the picture

to 8 as I get error. So extend the limits and I'll post the 12 picture that explains the how to perfectly. If I wanted to

drive traffic I wouldn't explain all that and would paste the link instead of the image ;) for you as well.

That works... Descriptions work as well. Looks like the ends are held in place by brackets, then 2x4s are set into place to stop them from sinking into what ever the surface is they're on (must be some hefty PVC as mine would sag quite a bit under the weight of the dolly. You could probably stop some of the side to side flexing you may see by driving screws into the middle 2x4s so they are only part way up the PVC to hold them in place better.

Those photo limits can be alleviated by purchasing a premiere membership (server space & bandwidth costs $$$): http://www.indietalk.com/index.php?page=memberships

That works... Descriptions work as well. Looks like the ends are held in place by brackets, then 2x4s are set into place to stop them from sinking into what ever the surface is they're on (must be some hefty PVC as mine would sag quite a bit under the weight of the dolly. You could probably stop some of the side to side flexing you may see by driving screws into the middle 2x4s so they are only part way up the PVC to hold them in place better.

Those photo limits can be alleviated by purchasing a premiere membership (server space & bandwidth costs $$$): http://www.indietalk.com/index.php?page=memberships

The brackets that you see in the image below is not to hold the pipe really, It's to stops the skateboard tires when they reach the end. Otherwise your camera will fall of and you'll never forgive yourself :)
550246.jpg

In my Opinion since the skateboard tires are fixed under the wood, it is best to leave the PVC loose and not screw any thing in them, so they find their position while rolling the skateboard tiers otherwise you are gonna get alot wiggle movement. Plus in my model it is always portable and 3 minutes to setup no screw no nothing just fitting the both heads. I can post a video if it's steel not clear.

About $$$ I know man what you are talking about, it is that i don't like to be misjudged really for what i didn't wanted to do ;) but it is ll good.

Just stating it for the record, not judging :)

I leave my PVC loose, but have recently decided to upgrade to thicker PVC as the dolly seems to run more smoothly on it. I sandbag the ends of mine so the dolly doesn't roll off it... we've had a few scares and you're right, they're uncomfortable.

I tested IKEA's curtain Metal pipe (similar size) and they work great, of course they're heavier to carry. Plus a good quality Bearings for the tires are adding alot to the whole smoothness issue.

Last edited:
Back