DIY dolly/ slider?

I haven't had that issue.

After I posted that, my husband informed me that they make skateboard wheels that have quiet bearings. I had watched a DIY dolly video and they mentioned the skateboard wheel noise issue, and I remembered that from when I was a teenager and hung out with kids who skated.

It helps stability if you angle the wheels inward between 30 and 45 degrees. The wheels still work fine on flat ground but hold to round track much better.

Maybe I just don't know how to use the damn thing
This is probably the case. A slider is for short moves. A dolly is for long moves. It's easy to do complex moves (sliding while tilting and panning) with a little practice.... just like anything else in life.;)

Always make sure your rig is centered on the carriage and keep your sliding hand low on the carriage. Really, it's easy. Also make sure you have the carriage aligned properly and locked in place. You can find instruction here: www.zazaslider.com

I researched every slider and linear motion company on the market for months before deciding that igus was the way to go. You can't beat the usefulness of this tool. I haven't been to a shoot without it since building my first one over 3 years ago. You can add great motion to your shots.... push-in's. pull-out's, horizonal slides, vertival slides, reveals, dutch angle slides, etc.... and a slider fits in places you can't get a dolly in to. It's extremely portable and sets-up in a minute. GREAT tool to have on a shoot.

Even if you'r not sliding (as mentioned in a previous post), it allows you to set & level your tripod and then gives you a good foot and a half in either direction to frame your shot properly...without having to move & re-level your tripod.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=21716

Here's a little video I did to show the new Hybrid bearing in action. You can see how your standard carriage should slide if set-up properly (of course I build my own custom carriage plates, etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dX8wFX3V-M

We have a store called "Savers" it's a used stuff kind of store. I picked up a pair of rollerblades for $5... 8 wheels. I made a doorway dolly for $50 that supports 500lbs of gear and people... and adding 10' of track costs $10... I currently have 50' of PVC track... seamless due to the insert splices that hold the 5' segments together.

We have a store called "Savers" it's a used stuff kind of store. I picked up a pair of rollerblades for $5... 8 wheels. I made a doorway dolly for $50 that supports 500lbs of gear and people... and adding 10' of track costs $10... I currently have 50' of PVC track... seamless due to the insert splices that hold the 5' segments together.

Wow nice man! i hope mine will be as good as that! Probably not that much weight but ima get pvc for the track aswell!

2 x 3/4" thick 4' x 8' plywood with screws in a grid making it really heavy, but able to carry anything I throw at it... and it fits through a doorway... Heavy enough schedule 40 PVC pipe that it doesn't bend much ($2.50 / 10' section).

2 x 3/4" thick 4' x 8' plywood with screws in a grid making it really heavy, but able to carry anything I throw at it... and it fits through a doorway... Heavy enough schedule 40 PVC pipe that it doesn't bend much ($2.50 / 10' section).

Wow thats awsome! thanks man!

This is probably the case. A slider is for short moves. A dolly is for long moves. It's easy to do complex moves (sliding while tilting and panning) with a little practice.... just like anything else in life.;)

Always make sure your rig is centered on the carriage and keep your sliding hand low on the carriage. Really, it's easy. Also make sure you have the carriage aligned properly and locked in place. You can find instruction here: www.zazaslider.com

I researched every slider and linear motion company on the market for months before deciding that igus was the way to go. You can't beat the usefulness of this tool. I haven't been to a shoot without it since building my first one over 3 years ago. You can add great motion to your shots.... push-in's. pull-out's, horizonal slides, vertival slides, reveals, dutch angle slides, etc.... and a slider fits in places you can't get a dolly in to. It's extremely portable and sets-up in a minute. GREAT tool to have on a shoot.

Even if you'r not sliding (as mentioned in a previous post), it allows you to set & level your tripod and then gives you a good foot and a half in either direction to frame your shot properly...without having to move & re-level your tripod.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=21716

Here's a little video I did to show the new Hybrid bearing in action. You can see how your standard carriage should slide if set-up properly (of course I build my own custom carriage plates, etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dX8wFX3V-M

Everything great. Do you have a video AND the resulting shot of where you slide and pan at the same time with the igus?

I ask because I tried. There was so much jerkiness in it that I abandoned the slide and just panned.
thanks
aveek

Last edited:
Back