distributing your documentary

So I'm planning on making a documentary, but what do I do after its finished?

My assumptions are put it online, youtube, vimeo, facebook, then send it to as many festivals as I can.

Do most film festivals generally accept doc films from unknown directors? If it does get accepted and there is a positive audience reaction, do I then contact production companies? Potential investors in my project are interested in these questions. Basically what do you have to do to get your stuff out and making money?

Documentaries rarely make a profit. Even making back the money invested is unlikely. Unless you have a solid plan to make the money back I'd keep your budget to an absolute minimum.

To my knowledge, festivals aren't a fan of you making the entire work available for free over the Internet.

Since your doc is pretty topical and relevant, as long as it's quality product you should have some decent luck getting into festivals. Most of them have a documentary category, and there exist festivals entirely for docs. I would say that's your best bet of turning a profit, though you might be able to take it on tour and show it at small, local theaters or make your own little theater with some false walls. Much, much riskier that way, though.

making money

Lets get this out of the way. Odds are overwhelming you won't be making any. If you do, it'll be pennies for every dollar you spend.

Putting your film on the net will exclude you from many festivals.

Do most film festivals generally accept doc films from unknown directors?

If its GREAT, you betcha.

Read this great doc book: SHUT UP AND SHOOT DOCUMENTARY GUIDE by Anthony Q Artis. A review about it is here: http://www.lexiecannes.com/id16.html

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back