Direction!

I need some advice! I have studied film for 4 years and have had the bug for 11 years. Ever since Polish Wedding was filmed on the street I lived on. I am getting to the point where I am just working as a P.A. I have been employed at the same place for 9 years, but hate it. It’s not what I want! I would rather be dead than not follow being in the film business.

My choices are when another job comes thru I can either continue working a job or follow my dream. To follow my dream I would have to lose my job and my financial situation would be dire. I could get fired in a non terrible way to collect unemployment as I pursue my career. Some people are supportive others think I am mad. I told them if I am always afraid of losing my steady pay I will never get anywhere.

Thoughts?

First off, its all up to you. I had a choice about two years ago to drop my job and go on tour with my band of 3 years. I wanted to go but my "strings" (job, house, dog, etc) held me back. I am an optimistic so I try not to regret anything, but some times it gets hard. Its really a matter of wether or not you can live with your choice a few years down the line.

Just remember that happiness is a path, not a destination. Good luck with your decision.

Crossroads can be tough. At least your aware of what you want, and have passion about it.

If I were you, I would save money. Save save save. Get together 10K...either on your own, from the help of family and friends, and from fundraisers. You can reach the 10K goal in no time if you're a full time worker and don't have a huge car payment, house payment, etc...as long as your overhead isn't outrageous...you can do it.

All the while you're saving money, be writing a script. Get someone you know who's good at writing if you aren't. Write a script. Prepare. You can still work full time and do a TON of pre-production.

Once your ready to shoot...apply for a part time job. Give your current job two weeks. Once you've landed a part time job...have pre-production figured out...and got together your budget...YOU'RE READY! Keep in mind though...you don't need to give up your job for this...shooting on weekends is the standard practice for most indies.

Don't cut corners on your film. Get good talent in both the acting department and the crew department. You won't have to pay them...just make sure you feed them. Don't skimp on bad actors...hold auditions until you find good ones.

Make sure you mic your movie.

Make sure you use a tripod most of the time.

Make sure you have a good lighting designer.

You can easily set up a shooting schedule to work around your part-time job. Even if you shoot only weekends (which is what we do most of the time), you can finish [shooting] a feature in a matter of 3-4 months--post will take another few months.

Surround yourself with talented people...find them.

You can do it! If you really want to. Most of the film makers in my area who put together quality stuff, also have full time jobs. Don't let that hold you back. Shoot on weekends...

Anyway. I wish you luck.

Last edited:
My choices are when another job comes thru I can either continue working a job or follow my dream. To follow my dream I would have to lose my job and my financial situation would be dire.

Welcome to the very difficult, very scary world of "the dream".

You already know the answer. If you hold a steady job that
doesn't leave you room to follow your dream you will end up
working a job you hate for 9 years. So you know what you need
to do.

Every filmmaker I know from producers to writers to directors to
gaffers to camera ops to audio mixers to costumers to make up
artists had to give up steady work and face dire financial situations
in order to be where they are now.

Every one of them.

I also know people who couldn't bring themselves to face the dire
financial situation of working freelance and are in jobs they hate
for 10 to 20 years hoping they will get the break they want.

But they have never faced the dire financial situation the rest of
have.

Comfortable and hopeful.
Scared, broke and pursuing the dream.

In my experience only one has the option for success.

It's a very tough decision.

The job/monetary situation was lowest on my list of factors when I decided to pursue my original dream of becoming a "rock star". I was young at the time (18), so I didn't have any of the other responsibilities (wife, kids, mortgage, etc.) that I have now so the decision was easy. For money I worked crap jobs like waiting tables, pumping gas and warehouse work; I even spent some time literally shoveling sh*t (manure). I also got very lucky very early on; I was seen by and then had a lengthy conversation with an extremely respected member in the industry. He was very blunt; "you'll NEVER be a rock star". However, just after that most depressing pronouncement he also told me that I had everything else - talent, discipline and the requisite skills. So I changed direction a bit and became a musical director, the guy who makes it all happen for the "star". I worked my way up through the crap gigs and eventually toured with an internationally known oldies group. I also did endless studio sessions (where I kibitzed constantly with the engineers), lots of gigs with and arranging for other groups, built my own project studio and even did some producing.

Arthritis curtailed my performing career, so I switched gears and became a recording studio engineer. It was okay as a career, but very unsatisfying in the artistic/creative sense. While I was taking my Pro Tools certification course I mentioned this to one of my instructors and he suggested that I get into audio post. I did just that and have been doing audio post for almost eight (8) years now. However, when all this occurred I had a very different life - I was now married, had two children, a mortgage and all of the other accoutrements - so it was a much harder decision. So I worked a full-time job and built my business at the same time while trying to squeeze in a family life. I now have my own audio post facility.

The point of all this is that if you do not have all of the responsibilities now is the time to pursue the dream. Years from now you'll look back at all of those "hard times" with nostalgia. You should not discount all of the other crafts; you may end up very happy as a DP, an editor, a set designer, a line producer... you get the idea. So get out there and get involved with other peoples projects and work as a PA, a grip, gaffer, boom-op, whatever. The experience with the other crafts will prove invaluable when you're ready to step out on your own.

Back