• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Digital projection

When you're delivering your film to a theater and they say we need 24fps, do they mean 24fps or 23.976? Does anybody know this for sure?

I asked the person if she was sure that it was 24 and not 23.976, and she repeated 24, but she seemed unsure and that's why I'm asking.
thanks

What format are you sending to the theatre? DCP? Blu-ray? Quicktime file?

Most film festivals require at least a DCP print and here's some info on that:

"If you want to make your life easy in post-production, always shoot and edit in 24p. 24p means 23.98fps (which is actually 23.976). DCPs actually run at 24.00 but the resampling between 23.98 and 24.00 can easily be done during DCP mastering. If you think you might eventually create a DCP (or even a 35mm filmout) from your motion picture, shoot and edit in 24p! A DCP is just like a 35mm print in that it runs at 24 frames per second. While there are other frame rates available, such as 25,30 and 48, they still are not in common use. The Academy and many foreign buyers and some festivals will only accept 24fps DCPs. If you have to shoot in traditional interlaced 60i (or PAL, SECAM or any other non-24p format), you should consider doing a frame rate conversion before you make a DCP. You can get good results if you have your footage professionally converted (or use good software such as Magic Bullet or DVFilm) from 60i or 25p to 24p. Unfortunately if you shot at 30p, the results will not look very good. Credit crawls and rolls in particular do not look very good when converted to 24p.

Sometimes, as with archival footage, you will not have a choice. If you have 60i archival footage (or PAL, SECAM, or any other type of non 24p material), it's best convert that as early as possible in the editing process.

In summary, edit in 24p whenever possible. Shoot in 24p if you can. NEVER SHOOT IN 30p. Convert any non-24p material to 24p as early in the editing process as possible so that you'll know what to expect."

Thanks.... No DCP. it's a small local festival. Toronto South Asian Film Festival. I entered at the last minute. Theater wants an mp4 :?#$^QE%$#?????? so... i don't know.

You guys don't know but my hard drive crashed, and all my final edits with my audio edits and my ginormous amount of time I'd spent on my end credit sequence was all gone... destroyed. kaput.

I know the south asia film festival dude, and he basically told me to get going on the edit so he could show it. I'm almost done. I'll deliver tomorrow to the theater. they're showing it on Sunday.

cheers

When I took my drive to the first place I tried to fix it, and one of the guys said he couldn't fix it, I put my head down to fight back my tears and to control my shaking body. Both dudes at the place almost started crying staring at me. I must have looked devastated, like I lost my child or something.

uggghhhh. It was terrible. horrible. sunk feeling.

Back