Digital grading

Hey
I saw this special feature on a DVD about how they digitaly graded the film to shift the colours and stuff, like photoshop but for film. The thing is, they said they scaned the negatives, but then after they graded it, they transfered it back to film. How is this possable?? Anyways I was just curious. I wish I could do that with photos!
-Tine

The process is called Digitial Intermediate. It's commonly used for VFX shots, since those are assembled on computer.

DI is now being used for whole features, because you can experiment with color & textural effects in the edit suite & view the results without the time & expense of an answer print. DI also eliminates the cost of AB rolls for optical transitions like wipes & dissolves.

Basically, film is transfered on a telecine at HD or 2k resolution, & then the completed, color corrected film is written back out to a negative. There's a lot of steps in between, and quite a bit of variety on how it's done.

If there is anyone who speaks english who'd like to respond, that'd be great great. Basically, all I want to know is how a computer can produce a negative. It's not a real emultion is it?
-Tine

Back