• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch DIET - Short Film from Finland!

Hey guys! This is my first post, and also my first short film.

I'm a huuuge fan of movies since I can remember and now, I decided to go ahead on my dream and do something for it.

This is my first serious short film (I've made many very home-made) and I'm looking for some advises, there are many wrong things that I've noticed already, but I hope that you guys help me with the ones I couldn't see.

Thanks very much and I'm ready to accept all kind of critics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjErnc3HaQU

Very slow. Cut it down. It's a bit boring and I can see many people losing interest fast. There were some really shaky shots. Either put it on a tripod, or have constant movement. It looks bad when the camera is still, then moves. The titles are not needed. They don't add much to the story, and I found them pointless. It wasn't telling us anything we didn't know. I lost interest after a while. Some shots lingered on too long, and some scenes could have been cut. Some over/under exposed shots. Sometimes the color correct/grading and/or white balance made the whites looked yellow. That seemed unpleasant to me. Some shots went in/out of focus. Practice around your house and master the art of focusing.

I really like the message and audio. The foley/sound effects, voiceover, and overall sound is pleasant.

The ending was awesome. Unfortunately that head is recognizable (in many Halloween stores), but that was so unexpected and weird. Nice one :lol:

Nice job :)

Thanks man! I've noticed before about the wb, overexposure and focus, but I didn't see that I've cut it too long! You gave me great advises! appreciate it!

Thanks man!

You're welcome!

Oops. I forgot.

tumblr_mnh3zjbvWZ1rjgcvdo1_500.gif

Welcome to the forums :cool:

I agree with Chimpphobia's advice. This video has a really cool concept and a fun twist ending. Quicker cuts would have made it move along a little more smoothly, but over all it was good.

Good luck with your next project!

Not bad actually, I did like the titles btw:)

Over exposure was constant, framing was ok most of the time, I did not like the "freezer cut" that you did twice. For instance in 3.21>3.22 cut is not good, the location of the camera moves too much.

More color correcting in the edit and either tripod or somekind of way to stabilize the camera could do wonders to this short.

There were only 1-2 takes that the cut was too long to my taste.

Thanks guys! I recognize all the mistakes that you are saying and I agree, many things can't be fixed now in post but I think that's the reason why I did this short, to learn! So I think that through your comments I could learn and I will work very hard to don't commit them again in my next film!
I have to admit that I worked with a inexperienced crew, but we all learn from this one!

itarumaa you live in Tampere! maybe we could collaborate some day!

Back