• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Did they use artificial lighting in the long Donnie Darko shot at the school?

Hi guys

If you have seen Donnie Darko then you will know the shot I am talking about where he gets out of the bus and they have one long shot introducing teachers and students at the school as they walk in and out of frame while the camera follows.

I am currently writing and hopefully directing a short where i plan to have a shot like that (to a lot smaller scale) but am wandering if they used any artificial lighting in that shot? As my shot will be indoors and I am thinking with what I have in mind there would be not many places to hide lights out of frame.

Any thoughts?

What format are you shooting on? Overhead lights that are in places like schools and offices can give you a nasty greenish look on film in particular and mixing and matching different types of lighting like incandescent and fluorescent can get pretty ugly. You can do a lot in post nowadays to fix these types of things but its best to have a solid plan going in.

They could have shot on those lights with "minus green" gels (better option than post fixes imho).

Also could have rigged the scene so that the lights were replaced with something like Kinoflos, not really an option for no-budget work. I think there might also be bulbs that work in standard ballasts, but don't quote me on that.

Back