• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Dialouge

i've been working on a script for about a year now and i always end up back at square one after an hour. My problem is i'm a perfectionist when it comes to things i really enjoy so i can never just "settle" i have the general premise, what i want to happen, when, how, and all that jazz. but my problem comes down to the filler. What do i have the actors and actresses say to each other when nothing is going on? this is the reason i don't sleep at night guys. :no:

There's so much good advice already given that I don't have much to say.

I'll just tell you something super cliche and stuff.

Keep writing. Practice makes perfect. (:D) Hash that shit out until you get what you want.

I'd write the scene without dialogue, then add in dialogue if you think something is missing. Sometimes silence can increase tension. Hitchcock often used silence before something big happened, then he hit us with music and intense visuals all at once. It made for a more emotional and memorable scene.

+1000. If I have one fault in my writing, it might be that there's not enough dialog. I always start with silence. If you can't communicate your story in silence, there's a good chance there's something wrong.

Back