Dialog between a phone call

Hello everyone,

To start off, I have been lurking around this thread for a while, and haven't actually posted anything. So hello!

Question, in a section of the script I am writing, there is a scene when two men are talking on the phone to each other. What is the proper way to write this? I don't have to switch from INT. (location)/EXT (location). every time each one says something, right? I have never done a phone call in a script, nor seen one. I just don't want to screw it up.

Thanks!
Brittany

INTERCUT

Hello everyone,

To start off, I have been lurking around this thread for a while, and haven't actually posted anything. So hello!

Question, in a section of the script I am writing, there is a scene when two men are talking on the phone to each other. What is the proper way to write this? I don't have to switch from INT. (location)/EXT (location). every time each one says something, right? I have never done a phone call in a script, nor seen one. I just don't want to screw it up.

Thanks!
Brittany

It's actually pretty easy... Here's the way that's used most often and is easily understood by those reading your script:

INT. JACK'S HOUSE - DAY

Bob shuffles through the living room -- telephone RINGS.

EXT. JACK'S HOUSE - DAY

Jill presses her CELLPHONE against her ear as a SCHOOL
BUS drives past.

INTERCUT - TELEPHONE CONVERSATION

JACK
Yo.

JILL
I've been out here 15 minutes!
Are we running up the hill or
what?

JACK
I don't feel like it.

JILL
What about the pails of water?

JACK
They'll wait.

Jack hangs up the phone.

--You can also use INTERCUT with other scenes that call for juxtaposing INT. and EXT. locations.

filmy

Back