Desperate for feedback! New to this "filming thing."

So very recently I forced myself to create a youtube account to make youtube video, its something that I've wanted to do so I just woke up and forced myself to make a video. Im using a DSLR and an Iphone 4s for filming, and since I'm new to youtube Im desperate for some feed back.

I KNOW ITS NOT AMAZING, like I said its my first video, Im just looking on any tips you have so I can improve my future videos! :)

Thanks, in advance!!!

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/thexyzproject

Hello new dude :cool:

FCPX video filters are very recognizable. Bad TV? Yep, I know that one.
DSLR and iPhone handheld looks UGLY! Lots of rolling shutter. You either need to get some type of stabilization rig or look those shots down on a tripod. Not much money? Try out a homemade fig rig or the $50 Spider Steady.

Fig rig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT72hoYxESI

Spider Steady:
http://www.amazon.com/foldable-Shoulder-Spider-Steady-Camera/dp/B00932XZQ2

There were some out of focus shots, the first being the close-up of the phone being tapped.
Not much happened. It didn't really get a reaction out of me.

NOW HERE'S WHAT I LIKED!

It's an interesting concept. It grabbed my attention, which is a very strong quality of a filmmaker. Despite not being super-impressed by the final product, I think you did a good job striking my curiosity about what the reminder is going to be.
The music is good. It works.
Nice quote. Very fitting.

:welcome:

Firstly Congrats on getting your first film out there! Sterling effort.

I would agree with Chimps comments on the technical ways you could improve on. However that said my favourite part (and I've watched it twice now) is the first 30 seconds.

I think its tremendously difficult when you're working in low and often no budget circumstances to actually make something interesting, not just narratively speaking but visually as well. So that's the challenge, and to beat it you need to be extra creative. For instance using your film example, what if it was the fish who was the protagonist? so you could actually just set up one shot (this gets over the shaky shots) and edit it so we see different things coming in to shot at different times like your hands, the food, equipment etc. So the voice over could actually turn out to be the fish just trying to work out what the hell is going on out there? Just an example but I hope you get what I mean.

Anyway congrats again, and the music choice was awesome. Looking forward to seeing more.

It got my attention that I watched the whole thing...I know it was short but I tend to give something a few seconds before I bail.

Your opening reminded me of the opening to Napoleon Dynamite. I was curious and as mentioned I was curious to know what your plan for a reminder was. I really did like the music...it suited your story and your audio vo was great..crisp and clear.

Shaky hand held camera, as someone mentioned is controlled with a stabilizer, but as mentioned you conquered something very difficult and that is to get someone to watch it and keep watching it to the end.

Last edited:
Back