• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Desire Help Needed!

Hello, I'm gearing up for local film festival in my area. (high School students) My problem is I have absolutely no idea for a movie. I have spent the last 2 weeks thinking and thinking, asking people but still no idea. Lol, I don't even know whether I should do drama, comedy, or romantic. The only requirement for the festival is it can't include more than 4 people on the project. (Hard making a movie with 4 people lol). I think it's my own stubbornness preventing me from my creativity. I've had many ideas, but none of them I really like. Also, I have lots of special effects software that I'm good t using, so I partially want to do a movie that incorporates special effects, however, I know that fx don't make up a movie. So has anyone gone through this indecisive:( phase before have any tips or suggestions to offer me? Thanks.

Your title for this topic was interesting enough for me to click :D

Well, I'm not going to give you a full formed idea but I can say that you should draw from what you know. Use past experiences that have been out of the ordinary, funny, or just cool. Expand, exaggerate, and modify those experiences into a short film.

As this is a high school project, I assume you don't have much money and are working on a short dead line. So, make sure your idea is fairly simple and doesn't require loads of props, and shooting locations. Make it doable without a huge budget.

Agree.

Think of an event which happened that was real: funny/scary/bizare - pref all three, lol!

Write 3-5 pages and shoot - all the best, Jim.

(ps DON'T overthink - JUST DO IT!)

Thank you everyone for the help. Actually it sort of makes since no, just build off past experiences, make it short and sweet but to the point. Also, I think my problemwas that I was overthinking everyhting lol. Hahaha Thanks again, I'm actually starting to get ideas now.

Back