Demo-itis

:secret: Nerdy nid-pick: that should be demo-tosis - the state of having lived through too many demos.

Demo-(t)itis would be when your eyes/ears/fingers are bleeding from watching/working on the same stuff over and over and over again. :deadhorse:

[:bow:Sorry for that: can't help it - in my day job, the difference between an -itis and an -osis can matter a lot! ]

That's a brilliant description of those suffixes, thank you. 😀

It's arguable that, having listened to a demo too many times, your ears/eyes might feel like they're bleeding! 🤣

What's your day job? Something in the medical profession?

What's your day job? Something in the medical profession?

Something (and sometimes)! My diploma says I'm a veterinary surgeon, but that was given to me a long time ago and both the job and I have changed since ...

With reference to the dopamine hit that you mention in the article, there was a research paper published recently that showed that this is an effective way to train human surgeons. The researchers used "auditory reward" (i.e. a dog training clicker :D ) each time they'd successfully completed certain gests within a complex task. It worked in the same way that you describe - they sped up each step of what they were doing in anticipation of getting that delicious click.

Something (and sometimes)! My diploma says I'm a veterinary surgeon, but that was given to me a long time ago and both the job and I have changed since ...

With reference to the dopamine hit that you mention in the article, there was a research paper published recently that showed that this is an effective way to train human surgeons. The researchers used "auditory reward" (i.e. a dog training clicker :D ) each time they'd successfully completed certain gests within a complex task. It worked in the same way that you describe - they sped up each step of what they were doing in anticipation of getting that delicious click.
That's brilliant! I guess it could be used in all sorts of fields as a training aid.

Back