• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Dark Lighting

Since I started film making, I've begun to really look at, and dissect films and shows that I view. Recently, I've been watching a lot of The Sopranos, and noticed that their shots are usually very dark, but they're not so dark that you can't see anything. I wouldn't call it noire, but it's definitely stylistic. Although many of the shots are really dark, and it appears no lighting is being utilized at all, the shots turn out (in my opinion) very beautifully. Now, I don't know a thing about cinematography, so someone, please step in and tell me if i'm spouting nonesense. Is there anything special about the way shows like The Sopranos are lit?

There is nothing special - as in is it's never been done before or
it's specific to that show. What you are seeing is the skill and
experience of professionals. And it's a lighting technique that even
a beginner can do - with work.

There are a lot of lights on that set. There is more backlighting
than most beginners use - they use smaller lamps - they use
flags and scrims well to control the light and dark much better
than beginners do.

It's quite a challenge to light that way and it take more equipment
than a work light, a few scoops and a paper lantern. Though with
some work, you can get some good, dark lighting with those items
too.

You should look at a famous cinematographer: John Alton. Alot of his stuff is film noire but he can paint with light in sense that he can show shapes and make objects easy to watch but also have a sinister low key look to it.

Yes, my research over the past 5-6 years has shown me that I can buy tools to make essentially the same photons as a pro can... but that money buys ways to make the light not go specific places. You can do this with stands and flags (black tagboard/foamcore), scrims (black semi-transparent fabric), barndoors and fresnel lenses.

You can make all this stuff (except the fresnel lens) using my TIME = MONEY equation... basically it works under the assumption that all of the stuff attached to those lights was initially created by a person as creative as you. That firmly in mind, all it takes is time to figure out how to create what you need to do the job it needs to do. Parts for this stuff is all relatively cheap, so you invest tie instead of money to get the bits you need. You can even make them look professional given some time and the willingness to learn some manufacturing techniques.

You can make all this stuff (except the fresnel lens) using my TIME = MONEY equation... basically it works under the assumption that all of the stuff attached to those lights was initially created by a person as creative as you.

Ain't that the truth.

Now I use pro equipment because over the years I've been able to afford to buy
them or rent them, but for the first 10 years or so of making movies I made
everything. And to this day, when I work of free gigs for friends I often use my
DIY equipment when there is no budget to rent.

I've done some great lighting with a few scoop lights and black wrap.

So far my mild experience with DIY lighting has taught me one thing -- I can do the same thing professional lights can do, it just takes a little bit more creativity and time spent working on it.

Back