• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Dark America: The Final Abortion Debate

Puppetry and violence -- two great tastes that taste great together! A celebration of the grotesque.

NSFW, if you're employed by a pro-life clinic, kindergarten, or fundamentalist church.

Basically a pilot ep for a web series. Since I closed my studio space, don't know if I'll make more.

It depends on how many people I can offend with this one. :yes:

Enjoy -- no -- endure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKP3DD5bACE

You will surely burn in hell ! This will force all unwed pregnant teen girls into Bristol Palin abstinence clubs ! It has some points, sad but true....very, very dark. Jesus loves you, I love guns and wish to kill you for this show ! next thing you'll say something stupid like gay people have rights ! I mean, we let them drive ? Now they want other rights ? never

To me it just seemed very dull and somewhat forced. The only sound being the voices and the long serious rants by the fetus were just boring to listen to. The news reporter seemed just weird, he tried to take everything seriously and then went off into tangents about things that were probably written in the script just to be offensive as opposed to being funny. It wasn't really that offensive either.

Yet strangely, it's got its fans.

I have issues with it, myself. But short films are often experimental. I learned how to properly green screen on this movie -- by doing it wrong!

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the production value. Decent lighting, good audio, a fun set, some basic newsy graphics that improved my After Effects skills, and a gross puppet. So I'm happy with what I accomplished. Can't ask for more!

I loved it! A little strawman-y, but it's for the sake of comedy, not serious debate. I hope you get around to doing more! The writing was good, and the comedic overlays were great (I loved the baby doll with the saw blade, and the Yoko Ono gag made me chuckle).

Thanks so much for the comments and support! Even negative comments are useful.

It seems to be gaining hits very quickly on YouTube, I'm guessing possibly because of its title or its puppet content. (I think that also YouTube hits are very dependent upon the thumbnail you can create, and YouTube offers you crappy options in this regard -- infuriating!)

I've got other scripts I think are much funnier, but are logistic nightmares in comparison (you think one puppet is hard, try five to ten). Part of the reason I did this project was because I could do it all in one tiny studio location. My former studio was 9'x17' -- really small. And this was, believe it nor not, a two camera shoot, so big chunks of it were shot in long takes.

I knew that with green screen, you want a) even lighting of the green backdrop, and b) enough distance between the screen and the foreground subject. Because of lack of space, with point a) I half succeeded, and with point b) I semi-failed, causing lots of color spill onto the puppet. That was a bunch of extra work matting and cleaning up the spill in After Effects. Not fun!

I built a homemade teleprompter for my dialogue, which used two-way glass in a homemade cardboard frame, a netbook computer, and reversed-image text slides run on Powerpoint that I advanced with a foot pedal myself while performing. Pretty clever, if I say so myself, and much cheaper than commercial alternatives.

I won't bore you with further details -- my point is that what I thought was going to be a "simple" shoot became extremely complicated and time-consuming. And expensive! I bought Sanken wired lavs for audio (love 'em), four Photoflex soft boxes of varying sizes, three Lowell Omni lights, and two Canon HF-S20s. All bought on a 1-year 0% interest credit card.

Sweet, sweet debt. But now I own some really nice gear. :cool:

Back