CWF [Buying Equipment]

Costa's Weekly Fix

Buying Equipment

If you have missed out on any of the segments, you can view them all on the blog here: http://www.indietalk.com/blog.php?u=15434

[Disclaimer: The following entry includes thoughts & opinions from my personal experiences and do not reflect the opinions of IndieTalk or any of it's affiliates in any way.]

This seems to be a big issue in the indie film making world; Should you buy or rent equipment?

There are different levels of film making, from the first time director, to the Hollywood director. And each of these stages command something different, depending on how experienced you are in film.

If you have never shot a film, or have shot a few small things with friends on a consumer camera for fun, and would like to start taking film making more seriously...

I'd say buy some basic equipment.

Which?

-A basic prosumer camera, nothing fancy.
-A cheap tripod
-Maybe an extra battery.

For lighting, use some house hold lamps, or go out and buy a few $5 clamp lights.

For sound, well, some might disagree with me hear, but just go with your on-board mic for right now. Your first films arn't going to be any good, it's just the way it works. Don't worry about spending money on a camera that supports a mic input, or buying a mic/boom pole etc.

'I'm not a first time director and I'm trying to make some festival worthy shorts' This is what I call stage 2.

Now you want to use some cheaper prosumer camera to shoot your first 'real' film on. And you realize you'll need sound gear and lighting. But do you buy the camera? or rent it? The DVX100 is only $2,000 on Ebay and I have that money, why not buy it? A $50 mic, I can afford that!

Here is where it gets tougher. This is the breaking point of if you should or shouldn't.

If you want to be a director, I would tell you not to buy equipment. At this stage, you are hiring the crew, and can easily hire a DP with a camera for very cheap who is also looking for experience. My first short I hired a DP with an HVX200 and small package (Sticks, batteries, P2 card, etc) for $125/day for a 3 day shoot. TO rent an HVX200 is around $150/day.

If you buy, you'll be stuck with shooting on a cheaper camera for multiple shoots when you could have rented or hired for cheaper.

**TIP: Rental houses are open Mon. - Fri. and will give you a 'weekend deal' if you rent Friday - Monday. You pay 1 days worth of rental for 3 days.

When you hire a DP or Sound mixer or the crew and are paying them a low pay for their equipment, they are more likely to stick to the project and take it more seriously then someone you arn't paying and are giving them cheaper gear to use.

After you get past this stage and are making shorts for thousands to tens of thousands of dollars, you wont even consider buying equipment as a Director/Producer. You can rent a RED for about $500/day. For a 5 day shoot that's $2,500. TO buy it is $40K-$65K.

Your production just got a lot better from renting didn't it?

If you know you want to be a DP or Mixer or other tech crew member, here is a short list of equipment usually associated with that position. (I.E. A DP is usually hired with his camera)

DP - Camera Package (Including Camera, sticks, batteries, Media cards, adapters, follow focus, field monitor, etc)
Steady Op. - Steady cam rig
1st AC - Lens kit, AC belt, slate
Sound Mixer - Mixer, Boom pole, various mics, lavs, blimp, etc
Gaffer - Lighting package, Truck, Gaff belt (Lighting package doesn't have to be owned, nor does truck)
Key Grip - Grip belt, Grip-ology, truck (Grip-ology doesn't have to be owned, nor does truck
H/MUA - MUA belt, various make-up supplys, hairdryer, curler, etc
2nd AD - Laptop, clipboard, printer
Wardrobe - Clothing rack, hangers, plastic covers, etc
ETC

Sometimes you'll find deals on things that are worth it to own, i.e. Walkies, Smart Slate, etc.

Hope this helps some of you starting film makers.

Remember to Leave a comment down below so I know there's enough interest to keep posting!

Costa's Weekly Fix - Every Monday.

Back