Custom PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SkyTech/saved/2icC

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1716.48

I made this computer to run very quickly and easily hold a full frame per second (real-time) on dual-monitors.

I was looking for people's opinions on this build if I need to upgrade anything to easily edit film (I use After-Effects & Vegas Pro averagely for 30min shorts shot at 30fps on T4i). Or if I could possibly downgrade any unneeded equipment to save money? That'd be great ^_^

I know some of the audio people will reply here asking for what audio speakers and Pro Tools I'm going to buy, or if I'm thinking of buying them. No. Well I'm most likely going to buy some low budget stuff for very simple Youtube Shorts, but anything that I put a lot into or a budget towards I will make sure to have room for someone who knows what they're doing. I'll hire the audio folk.

Thanks for taking a look. Thanks for commenting.

Last edited:
It looks fine. It all depends on how hard you push your computer with After Effects and how quick you want the rendering on AE.

For the editing, the dual GTX 660's are overkill (they'll be sitting idle most of the time as your T3i uses h.264 codec which is cpu intensive, not gpu), though it'll depend on what you do in After Effects to whether you'll want them both. If you're not worried about AE rendering speed, then drop one of the video cards.

I think you'll find that you'll also get better value for your money switching to the GTX 660 Ti video cards. About 10% more power and only cost a few dollars more.

I'd personally get larger internal hdd's.

I'd double check the power supply though. From memory, the dual GTX 660 can pull more than the 550w. You're probably better off going for an 800w+ power supply.

I don't know those monitors/sound card, someone else would have to chime in on them.

I agree, you need more power. The estimate says "548 watts" but that doesn't mean you should get a 550W PSU, it means you should get at least 650 or even 700 to make sure your system is stable. If it can't draw enough power it will just crash and you'll damage your system.
To my knowledge AMD CPUs use more power than Intel ones, plus your two graphics cards will use a lot of power.
http://hexus.net/tech/tech-explained/psu/32105-psus-power-supply-units/

If the work is going to be CPU intensive I'd get rid of one of those graphics cards and use the money to replace the AMD CPU with an Intel i7. Sure they're more expensive but they are better.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core

The sound card will be fine for what you're doing.

Last edited:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SkyTech/saved/2irX

So I took advise from the two of you (thanks) and rebuilt it to work for the Intel i7 which did in fact cost more but brought the power wattage down a bit. Little curious though will that .6GHz drop hurt me?

Also I removed done of the Video Cards and the 2nd Monitor to make it better priced. (Also switched to the 660 Ti).

Since I had to switch to Intel I had to change to another motherboard but I trust Asus over most anyways so the 10$ raise on that spot didn't harm me much. I'm mainly curious as to why Intel's 3.4GHz over AMD's 4.0GHz which costs less?

It's complicated, I don't know the precise reason but it comes down to the way the chips are built. You can't use the "ghz" rating to compare the power of two different processors, it's only one of the many factors involved.
They're both built differently ("different architecture") and Intel leads the way on processor technology so to make up for it, AMD uses more power ("higher clock" aka ghz) and more cores, so their chips use more power and create more heat.

Even between 2 Intel chips the ghz aspect only matters to a certain extent. On top of that there's the number of cores, the "turbo" (or the way the chip can adapt to higher loads), the cache, ... :)

On a side note, I have a Gigabyte Motherboard and an i7 processor, you didn't have to change brand, but it doesn't really make that much of a difference, they're both very reliable so it's all good.

Last edited:
It's complicated, I don't know the precise reason but it comes down to the way the chips are built. You can't use the "ghz" rating to compare the power of two different processors, it's only one of the many factors involved.
They're both built differently ("different architecture") and Intel leads the way on processor technology so to make up for it, AMD uses more power ("higher clock" aka ghz) and more cores, so their chips use more power and create more heat.

Even between 2 Intel chips the ghz aspect only matters to a certain extent. On top of that there's the number of cores, the "turbo" (or the way the chip can adapt to higher loads), the cache, ... :)

On a side note, I have a Gigabyte Motherboard and an i7 processor, you didn't have to change brand, but it doesn't really make that much of a different, they're both very reliable so it's all good.

Ahhh okay, I get your point. Thinking about it my friend's AMD laptop overheats much faster than my Intel Pentium. ^_^ And yea, there was a Gigabyte on there but Asus will always have my heart lol

Back