critique my ad!

Overall I liked it, keep up the good work!
Here's some criticism.

Video:

-It could use some color correction.

-Some shots are blurry and/or exposed incorrectly, but nothing too serious.

-I think there is too much footage before the narrator starts speaking, cut it down so that it's not a complete surprise when her voice finally comes in.

Audio:

-Maybe use a pop screen when recording voiceover, whenever she makes a P sound, we can hear the air hitting the mic too hard.

-EQ her voice so there isn't so much low end.

-She is reading her lines very slowly, a little faster would sound more natural.

-It sounds like you faded her voice out along with the video. Keep her voice at a constant volume even as you fade to black.

Standard TV commercial spot time is in 30second increments; 30, 60, 120 seconds.
Why was this one scripted a bizarre 83 (probably could be clipped to 82) seconds?

The VO explosive sounds are blowing the mic.
Focus is just all over the place.
There seems to be no structure conveyed by the images, which appear to be random.

I'll echo rayw on the length of your spot... For something like that :60 would be the max, but really it's too long even then. People's attentions spans are NOT what they used to be.

I'd cut the script down to a nice tight :30 that only hits on the most important points, and have your VO talent read it several times, so by the end she's not so much reading as just talking to you. And make sure she's not speaking directly into the mic, popped p's are no good! 45-45 rule, every time. (basically make sure the mic is lowered and angled toward the speaker's mouth, instead of directly even with and in front of their mouth. They should be talking above and across the mic, not straight into it.) Oh, and your music needs to be a bit more quiet, the VO almost gets lost in your music bed a few times...

Also, it wouldn't hurt to see the speaker on camera for a few seconds. Put a face with the voice and you'll increase interest.

As for the video, the occasional rack focus is fine, and you do have several excellent shots in there. But since the spot is so long you just end up repeating yourself, and that's an easy way to lose a viewer's attention. I'd try something like -intro shot of speaker outside with kids to -kids playing outside to -kids in class inside to -your original closing shot. Keep the progression of shots linear, it will make more sense to the viewer, and keep them more interested.

That's all I can think of right now! It's definitely a good effort, just needs a little refining!

Make it shorter and make the woman speak at the very beginning of the ad.. cut out some unnecessary lines and you've got yourself a perfect advertisement.

Back