• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Creating an editing reel

I have a potential editing gig on a mini webseries coming up. Having a meeting with the director and producer in a couple of days to discuss what they want, what they expect, my previous work, etc.

I've wanted to become more involved in editing (I've edited all my own work, and a couple of other projects) for a wee while, but I kind of stumbled on this by chance, so I haven't bothered to create an editing reel before.

I have a better idea of how to cut a directors/DoP/acting reel than I do an editing reel. Do I just cut together a bunch of short sequence (that I think are nicely edited) from my own work to some music? That seems a little boring and too linear.. But it doesn't make sense to just cut together a bunch of shots to some music without keeping them in their original contexts (since that's what made those sequences good editing in the first place). Do I even want music? I know most reels use it, but I tend to edit using the scene's music and diegetic sound to inform my cutting decisions.

Does choosing the most "attractive" shots matter (even though it shouldn't I feel like it could play a subconscious role)? Similar for well or badly directed/acted moments?

Any guidance from someone who has done this before would be useful. Alternatively, if you were looking for an editor, what would you want an editing reel to show?

I've been looking through a few reels, and they seems to be more like DP reels, just featuring a bunch of nice shots cut to music, where each shot doesn't seem to have much relevance to the previous.

I too am in a similar situation to you, though it sounds like you're beyond me in this regard.

I did read an article yesterday that went into show reels for color graders. The conclusion seemed to depend on your target market and who is going to hire you. He suggested that it was more important to emphasize the more important people you've worked with and other people who have trusted you to deliver their work. I guess it's the whole "who you know" thing. I don't know if this is correct or worth following or frankly whether it's what I'd do, but that was my general take away from the article.

As for reels, I believe they're pretty much similar for editors as directors. It's all about the story telling. Providing samples of your work and who you've worked with (a silver tongue doesn't hurt if you're being interviewed) and references makes more sense to me. Reels for these jobs just don't make a lot of sense to me (yet).

I'm sure others will chime in with their (probably better than mine in this regard) opinion.

Nah I don't think I am ahead of you. As I said, 90% of the projects I've worked on are my own, I just happened to meet the writer/producer through an event we were both at. Due to this I don't really have anyone "impressive" that I've worked for (not in terms of editing at least, I've done a few small production roles for a few local names, but that doesn't really seem relevant).

Yeah, I'm unsure how much relevance a reel will have - I'd just like something small to show them without having to watch some of the shorts I've done.

Thankfully they said they'll give me a bit of footage to rough cut, so I'll get a chance to actually show them what I can do. I just don't want to go unprepared to the interview.

If I were you, I'd give them your resume with some links to your work. At the meeting, focus on the project. Ask lots of questions as if you already had been offered the job. That way you can show how you'd approach the project.

Back