• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Creating a Lighting System

Hello, everyone. I'm getting ready to start my first feature project and need some advice on creating a lighting system for a scale model cityscape. I want to create or buy a control board that will not only use dimmer controls to level up and down individual LEDs (I'm wanting to light an approximate space of 6 inches in diameter at various levels) as well as use them to light a road section or shot of a 1/32 scale slot cars. I will also be using overhead lighting for different shots in conjunction with the LEDs for the different shots through the scene. I hope that makes sense.. If there are any ways to do this myself I would much rather do that than buy an expensive control panel. However, safety and quality of production are my first concerns. I'm not opposed to buying a control panel.

Radio shack, Axman or Sciplus would have potentiometers and LEDs... you should be able to make a system with separate control circuits on separate dimmers (Potentiometers) run by not much more than a 9V battery.

Knightly, Thank you. I thought RadioShack might have something like this but when I called up there the person on the other end had no idea how to help me and didn't even know who to ask. I appreciate your advice.

Mannie, That's a good idea. I've been looking on Amazon for my Scalextric equipment to make my set but there is only a listing for two buildings that would be used to make a replica of a race track and a few odds and ends for other set pieces of the same nature. I'm not building a race track replica, but rather a cityscape. I hadn't even thought about looking for a model rail roading website. I'll be checking it out. Thanks.

Here's the simplest circuit for you:
Battery(+) > Potentiometer > LED > Battery(-)

You may have to insert a resistor to dial amperage of the circuit down to the capabilities of the LED.

Here's the simplest circuit for you:
Battery(+) > Potentiometer > LED > Battery(-)

You may have to insert a resistor to dial amperage of the circuit down to the capabilities of the LED.

Awesome! Thanks, man. This really helps. When I start putting this together I will be posting pictures of my progress. I'm so excited about this project. More so than I have been about any other job whether it was as an actor or tech. It just feels great every day to be taking steps forward for my first film. Have a great shoot.

Generally, a AA battery will be enough to power an LED or 5... they don't take much, it depends on the specific LED.

The resistor in the circuit will limit the amount of current that gets to the LED to prevent it from exploding (letting the magical light smoke out).

Each LED or each circuit can have a resistor... depends on how you put together the circuit... you could have many LEDs on a few circuits:

Batt+ > POT > Resistor > LED > LED > LED > LED > Batt-

a few of these that wend (it's a real word, look in up) from window to window in the background would allow you to seemingly randomize the light levels... making it easy to dial in a more random look, or a very uniform look just by turning a couple of POTs.

Generally, a AA battery will be enough to power an LED or 5... they don't take much, it depends on the specific LED.

The resistor in the circuit will limit the amount of current that gets to the LED to prevent it from exploding (letting the magical light smoke out).

Each LED or each circuit can have a resistor... depends on how you put together the circuit... you could have many LEDs on a few circuits:

Batt+ > POT > Resistor > LED > LED > LED > LED > Batt-

a few of these that wend (it's a real word, look in up) from window to window in the background would allow you to seemingly randomize the light levels... making it easy to dial in a more random look, or a very uniform look just by turning a couple of POTs.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm going for. There would be occasions when I want random looks for office buildings or apartments and then there would be occasions when I would want a uniform look for filming a store front scene. I've even thought of, now, using multiple color LEDs on the same circuit. Thanks a lot. This has put me on the right trail and solved something I've been mulling over for a while. :clap:

Back