Creating a guide, but I need your help!

Hey filmies,

I've been working as a Graphic Designer in the Film and Entertainment industry for a couple years and along my travels have picked up a few tips and tricks to do with the Marketing and Advertising side of things. I'll be putting these into blog posts and videos as and when, but I'd really like to put together an eBook of one aspect, tailored specifically for the indie filmmaker. I've put together a few ideas but was hoping to get some votes on which one people would be interested in most.

Topics I'll be looking into:

Visual Marketing; Using imagery (still or moving) and getting this put out on social media sites and elsewhere online. Context is vital, so the aim of this guide will be to talk through what should go where and what shares best.
Film poster design; I've created a fair few in my time and some of you may have noticed the formulaic approach to them, there is a reason for that but there is a growing trend of exciting alternative approaches and I'll be breaking these down, discussing best course of action for your particular genre and even providing templates to help get the ball rolling.
Pitching; Creating a short, snappy pitch that piques interest and starts a conversation. I'd be running through boilerplates for the pitch with friends, at networking events, talent search and for distributors or production individuals.

If anyone wants to lend their vote you can cast it here:

http://crystalpulse.co.uk/new-guide-2014/

Thanks in advance - I appreciate it muchos and I'll be sure to share the results and guide when it's all done too! :cool:

Chris

Last edited:
So...you want us to effectively teach you how to market, so that you can write a book on marketing....If I have that correct then I would have to say that you need to rethink this.

Also there is no way I am clicking on a dodgy looking link.

Hey Matt,

No, thats not my intention at all, I work in Film Marketing, this survey is just so I can find out what most people would be interested in learning about most. It would be a free eBook I give out to visitors of the site.

The link is safe, promise, I copied the link from my tweet, they are converted to bitly links when I use Buffer and Hootsuite. The full link is here anyway; http://crystalpulse.co.uk/new-guide-2014/

Chris

Hey Matt,

No, thats not my intention at all, I work in Film Marketing, this survey is just so I can find out what most people would be interested in learning about most. It would be a free eBook I give out to visitors of the site.

The link is safe, promise, I copied the link from my tweet, they are converted to bitly links when I use Buffer and Hootsuite. The full link is here anyway; http://crystalpulse.co.uk/new-guide-2014/

Chris

Ok fair enough. We get a lot of tryers here so I for one have grown a little cynical of quick posts with links.

I clicked on the link after seeing assurances from others, and yea there is nothing dodgy about the link.

I like the 99 problems but a pitch aint one, as a title but only those that know the songs would understand the play on words, clever though it is.

What will really move the thing though is straight talking, no bullshit advice.
You say you have experience so that is good, and its nice that you are wanting to pass that experience onto others. How long have you worked within the industry and what films have you helped promote?

I'm sorry if I came across as a bit rash in my first post, as mentioned I have grown cynical, but that does not mean I am not willing to discuss this with an open mind now I have a clearer picture of who you are and what you are trying to do. Please continue :)

There are many here that could potentially benefit from hearing what you have to say, myself included.

No problem at all, I appreciate you calling it as you see it, bit links can look dodgy, thats certainly a fair point and I can in future use full ones! All good :)

Definitely with you on the straight talking, no bullshit, I think there is so much to say for transparency, honesty and authenticity in everything, especially sales and marketing - where there is so much of that sleazy salesman image, in it for the buck and no long lasting relationship. Glad to say I see things changing for the better though, Social Media has given so many a voice and you can straight up call out the bad people and have a lot of power in your words. Great time to be online right now!

Anyway, enough rant there from me, my background; started off in Entertainment and Film products, designing and artworking the visual stuff, packaging, advertising, marketing graphics - working with some really big properties like The Dark Knight Rises (Heaven), Cars 2 (Fun)... Real Steel (Not so good... :P). Glorious to start in with those big titles but you soon realise that getting great images and ideas approved is a nightmare, a lot of the time 'money people' are calling the shots and daren't take any risks with fresh, sometimes experimental approaches. Which is fair but it just means everything came out looking formulaic. I mean, look at any movie poster for a big film, its so unoriginal but like I say, people wouldn't take the risk on something new!
So, I left after 2 years, started my own shop and now getting the ball rolling working with Indie Filmmakers and students. Thats a year in April and I think I'm definitely someone for the more creativity, involvement and internal, intrinsic rewards that are found there! Life's really good! Working on some bits for a film called Dark Energy at the moment, should be doing its rounds soon.

Phew, longer than I thought that was going to be!
I'm splurging the knowledge I have on the site as fast as I can, so hopefully can share a few marketing articles when they are up soon.

Definitely a lot of weighting there yep!

Ok. Maybe that would be a good opener so we know exactly where you fit in. Marketing as with all aspects of film is very diverse within its own topic, so now we know that while you probably do have a lot of experience in lots of stuff, your main skill to date has been making film posters and covers, or in your case, being slightly held back from making ones that you feel are creative and fresh, by the finance guys.

Please don't think that I am putting you down in any way for that. I think that the poster and cover side of things has been pretty much untouched by a pro around here from what I have seen so you will definitely find people will want advice and/or help from you.

certainly good to have you on board thats for sure.

Do you have any examples of your work like some concepts you could show us?

Back