createspace type of site

Yes. FlickRocket.com I actually met one of the guys who started the company. He actually came to my house to investigate a bug in their encoding format that was only effecting my computer. Strange case.
Anyway FlickRocket is run from Germany. They have one "plan" that requires no setup fee which is nice.
FR doesn't pay you unless you earn at least $100 in sales, but if you nag them they'll pay you.
One of the owners created a copy protection technology (FluxDVD) that the hackers have not figured out how to crack, and may never crack it. They use this technology if you put your movie up for sale with FlickRocket. So if someone buys your movie, if they want to put it up on PirateBay, essentially they will have to go as far as to set up a video camera and video tape their TV set or computer as the movie plays. The technology writes "junk" data every so often so that attempts to "rip" a digital copy constantly fails, but a DVD player doesn't get "stuck" by the junk data and so it continues to play normally.

One of the owners created a copy protection technology (FluxDVD) that the hackers have not figured out how to crack, and may never crack it. They use this technology if you put your movie up for sale with FlickRocket. So if someone buys your movie, if they want to put it up on PirateBay, essentially they will have to go as far as to set up a video camera and video tape their TV set or computer as the movie plays. The technology writes "junk" data every so often so that attempts to "rip" a digital copy constantly fails, but a DVD player doesn't get "stuck" by the junk data and so it continues to play normally.

If you use FluxDVD, you're immediately restricting your market to Windows users. The current version is unbroken, as far as I'm aware, but an earlier version was bypassed by some of SlySoft's DVD ripping software a few years ago… and anyway, it would only take a few cables to record the feature to another device as it played. These DRM measures could be good for the industry if a) they weren't so restrictive and b) they actually worked, but as it stands the people who want to get round them can and the consumer - who is prepared to pay - gets shafted.

Back