create fake hole.

any tips on how to create a small hole in the ground environment? A character falls into a hole and i need to build a set for the inside so when he falls in it transitions to the inside of the hole since there is not an actual hole he falls into. It just needs to have a back wall which needs to be about 6.5-7 feet tall, and 2 side walls same height but it only needs to be about 6 feet long, because all that happens is the character discovers something inside of it, but i want it to be a small craw space on the inside, so the drop is kinda big but he has to go thru a small crawl space to discover whats inside of the hole. ill try to demonstrate a picture

( )
( )
( ) _______
(_________

thats pretty much how i want it, he can stand in the spot where he fell but must crawl to get to the back of the hole. Im trying to find a way to build this as simple yet realistic as possible, want it to be mossy and dirty down there, more of a dusty kinda of place like it hasn't been seen in a while.

Go for the bare minimum - reinforced box painted over and then covered with moss etc.

You could get large wooden crates, reinforce them and then cut out the bottom and cover them up to cut down costs + development time.
Just stack them in the direction you want it to go and you should be fine.

wow, sorry, that caught me off guard...

wooden crates can be had at grocery stores (some fruit still comes that way) or trucking companies or just wood at a lumber store.

fake moss at a craft store
fake dirt (or real dirt) at a home depot or a craft store (or model train store)

painting will have tons of resources at either the a paint store or on youtube and google.

Often, finding resources (producing) is just making phone calls to the places that seem to be the obvious solutions... everything I've learned about filmmaking has been through google searches, youtube searches, and the hardware store, don't discount the art store or local art department at the local colleges... the phone is your friend. Home depot even has faux painting technique classes.

thankyou! and yeah i think i gonna have to make it out of wood, because the area where the actor falls in needs to be wide enough for him to get on his knees comfortably and then craw thru the small hole at the bottom. Ill make some calls! is convincing paint hard? i want it to look like he actually is inside of a hole in the forest, with also perhaps dead roots hanging off walls, any suggestions on those?

Don't know, never had to do one... but that's like everything else I've done. Making it convincing is a problem to solve... the solution is to look at pictures of the type of thing you're trying to recreate and use it as a template for yours... basically, copy the elements you like to make your vision come to life.

Sketch it out roughly the way you see it in your head, then build the basic shapes of it with wood, paint, add some styrofoam rocks, texture and paint the whole shebang and add viney stuff from the craft store to make it suit the blend of your sketch and the reference images that you lookup in catalogs (the old way) and google images (the new way).

If you encounter problems, define the problem, then solve it. Problem people are a dime a dozen, Solutions people are the ones that change the world (little and big ways).

Back