CPM Film Tools Review

Hey guys, I know there'a much older thread bout CPM buried, but I ordered a shoulder rig from them and was able to use it on set this last weekend, wanted to share my thoughts.

Overall, it's fantastic. I got mine for a steal on eBay, won't say how much but it was one of those deals you don't pass up. Mine is the "Bulldog Shoulder Shooter", the straight shoulder rig that's weighted and has a cage.

Pro's: Super light weight. The carbon fiber rails are the real deal. They don't flex and don't look like they're going to splinter either. The other components are a carbon-plastic something or another and lie most people I was a bit nervous about it. Don't be, it's solid. Even with the whole cage configuration, it was nice and balanced. I configured it a few ways. Just the straight rig, no cage, then the normal cage set up, then the cage below and the handles on bottom (way comfortable). I also like that the weight is rubberized. Not a big deal, but you know you won't damage anything setting it on a floor or counter.

Con's: Half of the hardware has plastic thumbscrews. They're easy to over torque and when you do really hard to undo. The other half, the two main components, have no thumb screws. You have to use an alan wrench (provided) which isn't huge, until you want to make a fast change. That's the camera/tripod cheeseplate and the handlebar connector piece (that attaches the crossbar holding the two handles). The shoulder pad isn't the most comfortable, but honestly, I've used ProAim, Redrock and Zacuto (a little) and that's true of all of them. I've yet to see a really comfortable shoulder piece. Also, one of my handles is stuck. You turn the handle to lossen/tighten and make adjustments as far as where it is, which is awesome... except that one of them the grip just rotates leaving the the handle in place. I've yet to really loosen it. I think Ill have to glue it on there. Finally, when configured the we way they show on the website, it's impossible to get on a tripod with a normal quick release plate. The bottom of the cage and the thumbscrews stick down too low for the plate to slip into place. I tried with a Manfrotto and Vinten, same thing. You either have to space the cage farther apart (which startes to get in the way of lens/FF and body controls) or actually build it on the tripod (which means you can't pop it off quickly). A 3/4" spacer will fix it, I'll probably make or order one.

Yes, that looks like a long list of cons, but this is still a positive review. For the price, you won't match it. It blows ProAim (Which still costs twice as much) out of the water and it's made and sold in America which means decent customer support. I like that it's all carbon fiber rails as opposed to a heavier aluminum. Plus, they offer the indietalk 10% discount (see banner in rotation above). Given a bigger budget, I would still opt for RedRock first. Again, sub $1k, this is the best.

PS: I've got a LOT of new gear recently after selling some older stuff. Lenses, Support, new Tripod and Monitor on the way. I'll eventually post reviews about them too.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated, not being paid, etc.

Back